Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a general rule how much less output should a neck pup have compared to the bridge? More specifically I have a Dsonic bridge (output 390), how low can I go with the neck pup output before it will be hard to balance the volumes?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
really depends on the bridge model you're using...
...I also have a D-Sonic on my RG550 and have a Breed Neck for it, those 2 seem to balance each other(390mV & 330mV respectively) volume-wise; on the other hand, my JEM777VBK has the stock Paf Pro and an Evo (<300mV & 420mV) and those seem to even out pretty well. My last experience was matching a D-Activator X with a Paf Pro (500mV & 300mV) and I had a REALLY hard time matching the volume level of the Paf Pro to the D-X.
Essentially, the general rule of thumb for HH/HSH setups, bridge pups are mounted much higher than the neck pup :) But so far, experience tells me 60mV – <150mV difference would be a safe bet...

Reg

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
The biggest difference in a "common" set of pickups was the Humbucker from Hell in the neck (226 mV) and the tone zone (375 mV) in the bridge.

I'd say that you want to stay roughly 100 mV of the DSonic. So Paf Pro or similar in the neck slot (assuming it's another humbucker) would be a great choice imho.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
You don't need that much output in the neck anyway, the strings vibrate there the most. I used set up a guitar with an air classic neck with an evolution in the bridge and it works fine although I don't think they are tonally fitted for each other but in terms of output they work fine.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have a D-sonic(390mv) in the bridge and a Fastrack 1 (200mv) in the neck those seemed very mismatched in the begining but I just adjusted the hieght of my bridge pickup a bit and it evened out. Now they aren't completely equal now, close, but not perfect. Sometimes you have to accept that based on what two (or three in my case) pups you pick and your guitars configuration.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and ordered the Tone zone S for the neck. then output is listed as 300 vs my 390 dsonic bridge. I know the TZ is typically a bridge pup, but I really liked the warm sounding lead tone in the audio clip. I'll give it a try anyway. I'm also thinking of getting a true velvet for the middle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts