Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed that when someone new signs up for this site, that they are doing so to reply to a thread. And, the threads are usually several years old. I did this myself when I joined a few months ago, and I’ve also caught myself responding to new peoples replies to a necro thread.

I responded to one the other day, and it was 13 years old. Does anybody else find themselves responding to decades old threads? I’m a noob, but it seems like there are a lot of threads in my recommended reading, that are quite old. Is it just us noobs that are affected?

·
Administrator
7,570 Posts
I'm not sure how the site selects/suggests its "recommended reading", whether it's based on your posts or what you've read or even just random!

But, yes, we do geet a lot of new members replying to old threads. I think half the time that Google recommends the specific thread, so they just post in it, "cos google says so, amiright?" without looking at the date.

That said, it's not like this place is the fast paced, dynamic new frontier it once was ;)

The other half of new members are spambots and I'm doing my best to get rid of those and the new software definitely helps with that :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
The software looks like it matches recommendations based on key words for similar topics. Then presumably sorts for most recent if there are multiple good matches.
Thing is other than new releases or the regular NGD/collection/does this trem fit in this threads many topics here were last definitively covered in like 2007... Hence necrothreaditis...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am guilty of the much maligned necro bump.

I am not a noob, although my join date and post count shows that.
I had an account way back when, but lost all the sign in info, user name, etc.
This place is very different from 15 years ago.

I do searches for info, usually about pickups, and after the 2nd or 3rd page of results, i forget that i am in search results and not the forum.

I think the recommended threads are keyword based as said earlier. I like them. Its easy to fall down the rabbit hole though.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am guilty of the much maligned necro bump.

I am not a noob, although my join date and post count shows that.
I had an account way back when, but lost all the sign in info, user name, etc.
This place is very different from 15 years ago.

I do searches for info, usually about pickups, and after the 2nd or 3rd page of results, i forget that i am in search results and not the forum.

I think the recommended threads are keyword based as said earlier. I like them. Its easy to fall down the rabbit hole though.
I know there isn’t much action on this forum, but what I really do like about it is that it’s not Fender/Gibson oriented, and it’s not full of political BS like other sites. I’ve learned a lot about Ibanez guitars in general in the few short months I’ve been here.

I’ve bought a Jem Premium, Jem Jr SP, Jem Jr, Rg7421, S570AH, an RG550, and 2 AZES 31’s, and 2 Mikros for the grand kids since joining in the last 4 months or so. So I got 10 guitars for the price of 1 guitar from the Fender or Gibson Custom shops. I’m going to buy a 7 string for my son at some point.

The other Ibanez forums I’ve looked at appear to be completely dead. Ibanez guitars Seem to be more of a working man’s guitars. Great value for the dollar. I’m glad this site isn’t chocked full of cork sniffers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I actually joined JEMsite back in the early 90s in one of its first iterations, and there’s always effectively been a ban on political discussion. We always tried to focus on what unites us rather than what divides us :)
Early 90s?

That must have been interesting in the dial up era.

How long have you been a moderator?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.