Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time for me to get a new computer. Mine is about 9 years old. I want something that I can use just to basically surf the net with, and most importantly I want to start recording the guitar on it. I don't need anything super fancy. Knowing nothing about it, I am thinking just a half way decent computer and a line 6 tone port or something like that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would like to spend around 2 grand and would like to get the whole package, monitor, keyboard, mouse, recording software, everything all in one shot. I have no idea what all the numbers mean about ram rom and gigs so help me out please.

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that looks pretty sweet Jimmy, thanks. And then something like an M-Audio black box, is that it?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Basically. The computers of today perform so much better than what you need for recording. So you can't go wrong. People recorded on computers 7 years ago as well. :) Just make sure the M-Audio (or similar device) is bundled with some good software. :)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
check here regularly and buy the monitor and recording box/software separately.

PC can easily be sub $600 and you'd never notice the difference vs a $1800 pc... glen

·
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is quite a noticeable difference Glen. And that's a great point Euphor, so I should focus more on getting some real versatile and user friendly recording software then. It makes sense that computers have surpassed what recording requires of them. What should my basic requirements be for the PC Glen? How much memory, what chip, things I should be looking for?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
PC can easily be sub $600 and you'd never notice the difference vs a $1800 pc... glen
Definitely.

If building a PC from parts especially, you can build a 'beast' of a machine for a very sensible price now. PC hardware prices have just got cheaper and cheaper over the last few years.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I have to agree with the fellas. Gilky, I had totally forgotten you were in sand city, I don't know that you can get a Dell shipped over there.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
watch this site for PC deals
http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/PC-Computers/PC-Desktop/48.html

best bang for the buck and premium PC is the
dell e521 x2

* you want 1GB RAM (2GB wont hurt but might not help)
* dual core (amd x2 or intel core duo) any Ghz CPU
any dual core PC that these has enough of everything else. pick a video card if you really think you need an improved one (gaming, hdtv)

* for recording add a 300+ GB SATA drive (e521 has 4 sata bays, two free)

i'd go with 21-22" widescreen monitor (1680x1050) or 24".

you can't build as cheap, even if you pirate windows xp/vista... glen

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
That is quite a noticeable difference Glen. And that's a great point Euphor, so I should focus more on getting some real versatile and user friendly recording software then. It makes sense that computers have surpassed what recording requires of them. What should my basic requirements be for the PC Glen? How much memory, what chip, things I should be looking for?
Personally, when I went down this road, I was really tempted to go for a Mac because they really DO own for multimedia work. however, the reality is that I'm on a budget, and a $800 Dell did everything I needed it to while leaving me enough money to pick up a good firewire audio interface (I went with a M-Audio Firewire 410), several good mics, a decent mic preamp, and a pair of acceptable monitors for the $2k or so I'd have spent on a good Mac.

Would the Mac have been better, from a processing standpoint? Maybe... But I put together a full studio for an equivalent price, and I've had no real regrets with my computer since I bought it (maybe a year, year and a half ago). And the next time I buy a computer, now that I already have a good flatscreen monitor and mouse/keyboard, plus a great collection of outboard gear, I can lean a little heavier on the computer itself. For the time being, I'm finding that the only limits on my ability to make professional sounding mixes in my bedroom (aside from the fact I'm currently using sampled drums to make drum loops, lol) is my ability to mic and mix, and not hardware or software limitations. Oh, and my ability to play, of course. :lol:

Anyway, my advice? Past a point your money is better spent ensuring the audio path from your amp to your soundcard is as good as possible than getting a completely tricked out top-dolalr system.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Gilk.... read up on building your own and then go to some place like newegg.com, buy the components and build your own! You'll be much happier with the results I think. Besides it's really not that difficult and you chose he quality/brand of components not some "salesman".

·
Registered
234 Posts
A good idea would be to choose your recording hard and softwares and then choose your new PC depending on these requirements.

I am thinking about buying an M box from digidesign with protool software. Unfortunatelly I will have to upgrade my computer to get the pack work properly...

I hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts