Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need Fender Strat with Floyd Rose recommendation..

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  windycitycane 
#1 ·
..can someone give me some recommendations as to what Strat I might be looking for with a Floyd Rose? I've been waiting for the Charvel Pro Mods to come up and can't stand the way Charvel is doing things so now I'm thinking a Fender Strat.

I like playing 80's hair metal so looking for the capability of an Ibanez (have a RG370 and RG350) but with a Strat look and feel.

thanks in advance..

#8 ·
Another option would be to pick up one of the late 80s Japanese hotrod Strats with a Kahler Steeler licensed Floyd. I have an 89 Olympic white with a rosewood board, and it's hands down he nicest Strat I've ever played. They can typically be had pretty inexpensively. Also, the Steeler may be the best Floyd I've ever owned, just a crazygood tremolo.

#12 ·
..can someone give me some recommendations as to what Strat I might be looking for with a Floyd Rose? I've been waiting for the Charvel Pro Mods to come up and can't stand the way Charvel is doing things so now I'm thinking a Fender Strat.

I like playing 80's hair metal so looking for the capability of an Ibanez (have a RG370 and RG350) but with a Strat look and feel.

thanks in advance..
Man, I remember trying out Floyded Stats in the late 80s and early 90s and not being that impressed. However, back in January I went to the US for NAMM, a tour of Suhr and to visit my favorite shop Wild West guitars...... Now I spent two full days at WWG fully expecting to bring a PRS or a Suhr home..... But they also have a bit of a niche in Floyded Fenders doing custom runs and stuff. Over that whole week the guitar I could not leave without was a Floyded Fender!

Totally not what I was looking for but it played and sounded phenomenal....

That said it is right at the top end it is a Custom Shop 1960 Ultimate Relic by Jason Smith. But it has reignited my love to crank out a bit of 80's hair rock!!:)

That said, it is a pricey guitar, but it leads me to some sense in advice...... Perhaps the best way is to get the 80's vibe is do what those guys did in the 80s (and what inspired Jason with this build)...... Find the best playing, cheapest USA Fender Strat you can, and have a great guitar tech install a Floyd and your gave 'bucker and set her up ready to rip!!!

#15 ·
Man, I remember trying out Floyded Stats in the late 80s and early 90s and not being that impressed. However, back in January I went to the US for NAMM, a tour of Suhr and to visit my favorite shop Wild West guitars...... Now I spent two full days at WWG fully expecting to bring a PRS or a Suhr home..... But they also have a bit of a niche in Floyded Fenders doing custom runs and stuff. Over that whole week the guitar I could not leave without was a Floyded Fender!

Totally not what I was looking for but it played and sounded phenomenal....

That said it is right at the top end it is a Custom Shop 1960 Ultimate Relic by Jason Smith. But it has reignited my love to crank out a bit of 80's hair rock!!:)

That said, it is a pricey guitar, but it leads me to some sense in advice...... Perhaps the best way is to get the 80's vibe is do what those guys did in the 80s (and what inspired Jason with this build)...... Find the best playing, cheapest USA Fender Strat you can, and have a great guitar tech install a Floyd and your gave 'bucker and set her up ready to rip!!!
Never understood why someone would pay large amounts of money for a beat up guitar.....

Jimmy:smile:

#14 ·

thanks in advance..
Just get the Charvel, nothing else is even close to it in the current market for the price.

#19 ·
poor management is maybe being late on some guitar orders.. Charvel doesn't even seem to exist. They've had guitars on their site up for months and it seems not one store carries them and I can't get a response back from their main office. It just appears Fender (who owns them now) doesn't care and I would be concerned if I did buy a Charvel, what if there were issues? It would take years to resolve it!

With that being said, I have to try one before I decide.

thank you everyone for the insight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.