Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to record some drums (Drumkit From Hell 2) in Cakewalk Sonar 5, although this is more of a general question which should apply to just about any recording program. I can program the drums into Sonar fine, when i play it inside the program its glorious, but when I go to export the audio the drums don't show up. I suppose its not actually recording the drums, just midi triggering it from the Drum program via synth rack. Does anyone know how to ACTUALLY record the drums into the program for real?

Ive had a similar problem recording keyboards. I know its something simple but I cant figure it out.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You have to record the samples that are being played onto another audio track, make sense? So, if you are triggering samples via MIDI, you have to take the audio output of those and send them into an input and record them as an audio file.

Roger

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But they are routed to to an input as far as I know. The drum program can either use seperate 8 tracks which are each being sent to its own input in Sonar or combine it all with one main track in sonar, which are then routed to the 'master' in Sonar. When I play the song in Sonar all the meters light up correctly, there just doesn't seem to be an option to record.

Perhaps I'll take a screenshot and you can tell me if you notice anything wrong.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm not 100% positive on this since I use mostly audio drum loops, but I'm pretty sure that software synths, even if routed to an audio out, do not get included in export.

When I used to use the Cakewalk session drummer (which is all MIDI), I had to go into my soundblaster mixer and tell the soundblaster to record from MIDI, then go into cakewalk and arm a track using soundblaster audio as the source. Mute every track but the MIDI drum track, hit record, let the song run through. The MIDI gets converted to an audio track, and the MIDI track can be muted.

I'm not sure how you would do this with the firepod, since it doesn't have that same sort of software mixer/router that the soundblaster had. You may need to physically route one pair of outputs to one pair of inputs with 1/4" patch cables, arm a track, mute everything but the drum tracks, and hit record.

And who knows... there may be a better way to do this in later versions of Sonar, but in 2.2 I believe this was the only way to go. I haven't had to do this sort of midi-to-audio bounce since I started using Sonar 4 producer.

--B

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I resolved the problem. It was as simple as clicking the "Freeze Synth" button in Sonar 5's synth rack. Thanks for all the help, it was your link which led me to the answer :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.