Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I'm sorry to ask another Legacy question, but I need to know how the legacy is as far as rythm is conserned b4 I buy one. I play hard rock, not metal. I DON'T need massive amounts of gain with scooped mids. What I need is that 80'ish Jake e Lee, type crunch 'cause my other guitar player is using a old bogner modded marshall. I'm currently using a Mesa rectoverb wich I don't care that much for. I can never really hear Vai doing much crunchy rythm chordal work so I don't know how the Legacy sounds in that situation. However, the clean and lead tones have almost sold me on getting one maybe even selling/trading my USA std Peavey Wolfgang for a 1/2 stack, But I'm concerned it will bee too muddy from what I hear. Any opinions Legacy owners? I need the help. I'm sick of being on the fence about this amp.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I had a huge muddyness problem with a Legacy with a humbucker equipped guitar. Rocked with single coils though.

Jake E. Lee used a JCM 800 with 2 cabs laoded with 150 watt bass speakers (600 watt cabinets) so a clean speaker end. I wouldn't go that far, but something like V30s or Classic Leads would be nice (avoid G12M75s, they SUCK).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Legacy combo. I only keep the gain at around 6 or 7 which is plenty. I tried the gain at 10 and that's when I notice the amp gets muddy. I use the amps distortion for lead and rhythm playing and it sounds just fine. But, that of course is my opinion. I only turn my amp up to 2 volume wise and I still think it sounds good at that setting although it sounds better with the volume at 6. But, you'll be peeling the paint off the walls at that level.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So maybe I could use the a lower gain setting and get a hotplate. to take care of the muddyness? Doesn't Vai use different tubes anyway?I think I read that in another thread somewhere that I can't find know. I usually play on around 4-5 volume and maybe 12 o'clock position for the gain anyway. I was going to go with legacy cabinet with the V30's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's a huge leagcy VS JSX thread commenting on the two and basically the consensus is that the legacy has great hard rock marshally-ish voicing. I personally think that the carvin MTS is much more marshall than the legacy is. The legacy's tone is too refined. My valvemaster (precursor to the MTS) has a great unpolished overdrive to it. I recently re-tubed it with JJ 12AX7's and SED winged C 6L6's and it really brought some extra sweetness out of the amp.

The Legacy/valvemaster/MTS cleans are all fabulous. Not quite as nice as fender tube cleans but better than any marshall clean I've heard. There is that distinct bell-like fender ring to the clean channle though and on the 100 watt mode, you can crank the amp to rediculous high volume levels without the tubes breaking up.

So for the refined and smoother gain, the legacy would be a good choice. For a more raw and in your face overdrive, I'd look into the MTS models. Used MTS combos are always on e bay for around $450~$500. They originally come with 6L6's but EL34's can help smooth things out a little.

One gripe I have though is that Carvin is now putitng the G12-75 celestions in the MTS series cabs and combos instead of the V30's. I like the V30's much better.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could also try a volume pedal in the effects loop. I've read on different forums of guy doing that instead. It would be a little cheaper then buying a hotplate, unless of course you all ready have one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't have a hotplate yet, but a couple freinds of mine do. I haven't heard the MTS line 'cause noone I know of has anything from Carvin. I do know of the JSX though, that seems to be the only one I can get my hands on. but those are just a little too high unless I can find a used one on-line.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
nouromenon said:
So maybe I could use the a lower gain setting and get a hotplate. to take care of the muddyness? Doesn't Vai use different tubes anyway?I think I read that in another thread somewhere that I can't find know. I usually play on around 4-5 volume and maybe 12 o'clock position for the gain anyway. I was going to go with legacy cabinet with the V30's.
A hotplate wont fix the muddiness. It will let you turn the MV higher, but regardless of how high you set the MV it's going to be muddy.

I would go with V30s or Classic Leads. Forget Greenbacks, not much of a fan of them with modern equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts