Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a wiring project on my Ibanez guitar in which i want to follow Steve Vai's Evo Jem wiring diagram. I managed to acquire everything from Dimarzio Evolution pickup to barrel jack, the only thing that i didn't have is the 331(330pf) ceramic capacitor for volume, i cant't seem to find on ebay & amazon the one that the Evo has with a label "331K with B above it". Im planning to buy this (right photo):

still it is 330pf but the tolerance is not the same its "M" while the evo has "K". As far as I know, voltage does not matter for guitar voltage is very low (am i right?) but i know nothing about the tolerance, if it affects the tone or not. And i dont know if what "CM" represents.

Please guide me about this matter or to where to buy exactly the same as evo have (left side photo).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ correct as of a few weeks ago
https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/pages/terminator

K is 10% tolerance
M is 20% tolerance

each of us hear different things so i won't comment on what people hear and believe they hear. the std JEM capacitor would suffice for me (or the dimarzio equivalent) whatever is easier to obtain. good luck.
yeahh, I also happen to came across with that madhatterguitar_Terminator-EVO. I was thinking to buy one, in fact jut now- I've posted a thread regarding this product for further opinion to help me decide to purchase. What do you think of it bro?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am also looking to get that madhatter kit. The VLX91 in my Jem is broken anyway. The original plan was just going to be a dimarzio 5 way, until I saw that video for the terminator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If ever you purchased the kit bro! Please inform me about the result, i need more overview on this matter.. Thank you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah man, no problem. I hate having to remove the bridge/strings enough as it is and possibly enjoy soldering even less. So that work will be stacked with a locking stud mod.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Anthony G. and those guys are a knowledgeable crew.

I'd buy that kit before cobbling up parts & wiring up things new without a second thought. If for anything convenience and to support innovation. The sound my ears aren't that good (i can't tell Duracell from Energizer batteries in pedals).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We all know that its not the same, so we're asking on what's the diferrence or if its really matter or not.. thanks for the reply though.. :p

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I have the kit in hand now, but not installed yet. Maybe I'll find some time to make a recording to A/B, the before and after.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I got one of these kits a few months back for a 1527 that i gave up trying to install after 3 hours. The connections kept coming apart for me and i couldn't get the push/pull tone pot to fit in the cavity with all the wiring. Might've worked if i got the kit with the regular tone pot and/or had more patience. I thought it'd be easier than busting out the soldering iron but it proved to be just as frustrating for me. Admittedly, I do suck at this sorta $h!te so i'm probably not the best example, but that was my experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts