Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have got a JEM 77 BFP since the 90s, i used it many years in live concerts and now unfortunately it has some scratches and hits here and there because of the usage. I would like to know better the specifications about this guitar that i bought brand new (well, my father bought for me!), It has this number on the back 917642 and everything is still original.

I have to say that I came in love with it in the shop as soon as I played it, fantastic neck!

Thank you, i post some photos!
Camillo

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sweet floral, I think the blue is my favourite.

Jems have a different serial system to regular, non-sig, guitars. Before AANJ, the serial was stamped on the neck plate, and it was six digits. The first two digits are the year, followed by a production number. So, your guitar is 1991. The original BFPs ran 1991-94, iirc.

Compare this with regular guitars made in Japan, which during 1987-96, have only the first digit denoting the year. In 1997, they made the first two digits the year, to avoid repetition/confusion (so F7xxxxx doesn't equal 1997).

Rich's website has a good explanation of the serial numbers: Ibanez Rules DATE YOUR IBANEZ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts