Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Ive pretty much stopped playing now and I hate seeing my guitar sitting there not being used so I've decided it's time to sell it on to someone who will actually use it... problem is I have no idea what it is or how much it's worth.

It looks a bit like an RG, it has three EMG live pup's but the middle one is very quiet with a lot of noise. There are three switches one for each pup and it has a floyd rose pro floating bridge.

I think it has been modded at some point.

I bought it second hand in 1994 for about £200 I think.

pics here: s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/baileyswallk/Ibanez/

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Brendan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, it's got the same knobs but there in the wrong place. The switches look in the right place but the jack is on the side on my guitar and it's way thicker than that guitar looks.

I can't decode the serial number from the forums I've looked at it says made in japan under the serial and the serial number is 801185 so I was thinking it was year 80 or 85?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It looks like it could be a 1988 540P to me. Looks like the front switch has been replaced and an additional tone or volume knob added? The 85 PR1440 is same switch and pup config but the body is wrong and the serial number too. Is it possible the plate has been replaced? Looks OK for its age. If it plays well I would say you should ask 375 or so. The late 80's RG's are going for around 500 so that is what I based it on. Peace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What you've got is an '88 540 Pro Model. This was the series that preceeded the 540R, 540S and 540P. Similar to the Roadstar II series, but better quality from what I understand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I think that's it the power, been looking through google images and can find similar ones in that colour but not exactly the same.

What would you say would be a fair price for it considering it has some dings and not original pups + the middle ones not working??

·
Registered
91 Posts
You said you paid 200 quite awhile ago, so 375 seems fair at todays prices.
375 sterling is about 592 dollars. I see the RGs selling for more in the UK and surrounding areas than in the US. Should be the same with your 540Pro.
If my idea was lower than what you thought, I am no expert. Wait for others to say what they think.
I really like the guitar though s-s-h and older trem are cool.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Definitely looks like a 540P. I thought the P, Radius and Saber all came out the same year. The P is more rare, because they didn't produce them for long. Seems as though a guy sold one here for about $400 or so (US) recently. Definitely looks like the pickups aren't stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, it's worth more than I thought. I would really love it if it went to someone who would restore it or something it plays beautiful and the two working pups sound great but paint work does have a couple of nasty dings on it, but I would be happy to let it go for less to someone that's going to appreciate it. Is it worth posting on here for sale? Are there many uk users here or is there a uk Ibanez forum?

Cheers,
Brendan.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think there are plenty of UK members on here. Not sure on UK Ibby site. I live all the way in Alaska or I would try and buy it. Shipping would be high probably. I have been wanting to restore a guitar as a hobby for awhile. That would be a killer project guitar for sure. Do you have anyway of estimating shipping? .....
My first Ibby was an 89 560, I would definitely appreciate it, and play the heck out of it, lol.
If you post here try to come up with a guesstimate on shipping to US/Canada.(if you are willing to ship international that is)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers mate, I think postage would be about £50 after a rough check if it was delivered in the hard case. I will pop it on here for sale and on gumtree for local adds but if you want to pick up the postage then that's cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts