Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Dimarzio gurus,

I'm into extreme metal and I'm use to select pickups that usually have a high resistance.

Just bought a Japanese B.C. Rich from the mid 90s and this Dimarzio pickup was in it (I doubt it's the original pup as they originally came with BCR pickups)

With a DC output of 9.13K, I'm shocked to realize how amazingly this pickup respond to my style and playing.. Is it old? I need to know what it is!

Humbucker
Hex Poles
The back is flat. No pole screws are out of the body
Flat head screws on the back *

Solid Ground wire **

Red + Black D.C. : 4.55K
Green + White D.C. : 4.57K
Total D.C. : 9.13K

* I may be wrong but I noticed newer Dimarzio pickups use Phillips screws on the back compared to flat head screws for older pickups?
** Again, I think newer pickups have braided ground wire compared to solid ground wire for older pickups

Please don't tell me it's a Super Distortion or a Tone Zone because obviously it isn't (9.13K output, right?)

Thanks a million for your help! I need to identify this Pup as I want to buy a few for some of my guitars. Right now it is sitting in my Hamer Centaura USA 1990 and it is just perfect! :grin:

Any hint is appreciated, I'm on the hunt!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
could be a fred, maybe steve morse model? what does it sound like ? does it have a pronounced mid range ? The older Dimarzios aren't stamped and some OEM models weren't stamped either.

It is hard to tell without a description of it's sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could be a fred, maybe steve morse model? what does it sound like ? does it have a pronounced mid range ? The older Dimarzios aren't stamped and some OEM models weren't stamped either.

It is hard to tell without a description of it's sound.
Well, based on the description you gave of the FRED and about what I read it may very well be it or something very similar.

My best pickup overall so far is (was) the JB. But the bottom can be a bit sloppy sometimes.. The unknown Dimarzio has upper mids, tighter bottom, pristine highs with a very good notes separation.

In comparison, the only other Dimarzio I have is an Evolution one and I really don't like it. Seems to me that it's like it is trying too hard or pushing too hard and turns a bit artificial when heavily overdriven.

I use a JRockett Archer Silver to take my 85' JCM 800 2203 in Death Metal territory and the [Unknown] Dimarzio is just a perfect balance of everything.

I will be able to tell you more about the FRED as I ordered one and should receive it in the next few days. I will install it it a 1985 B.C. Rich ST-III with Alder body. I have the feeling the match will be perfect.

Thanks for the hints :smile:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i am going to guess an old super 2
also a good guess . i had forgot about the super 2. The super series has a pretty unique feel to them as well. i like the original, the 2 was cool and i wasn't a fan of the 3. The 3 was way too dark and had a weird low end response with the highs being too subdued.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts