Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually the pick-up has already been installed and seems to sound right, with the only problem that it has a lot of buzz. The neck pick-up remains stock and doesn't have the buzz so it's not the guitar, but something I screwed up when I installed the Blaze Custom.

The guitar was wired like this:

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2004&w=RG1527

I removed the bridge pick-up and then wired the Blaze in the following fashion:

- White and black wires soldered together to TAB 8 (old red wire)
- Red wire soldered to TAB 4 (old white wire)
- Green and bare wires soldered together to back of volume control (old bare wire)

Here's a pic which may help:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/metal15/Violas/5eb703dc.jpg

THe Blaze is the BLACK lead, not brown.

Any idea of what I might have done wrong? I'm guessing it's a grounding problem but I'm not really that much of an expert in this kind of thing. It took me about a whole hour of searching through this forum section before I decided to wire the pick-up the way I did since I didn't feel like opening yet another NEED HELP WITH WIRING thread before at least giving it a try.

Well, I screwed up all the same so here it is.

Any help is appreciated.

;)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sounds like the your green wire and bare wire may have been cold soldered. Try resoldering the green and bare wires again. Cold solder is a pretty common problem when it comes to soldering onto the backs of pots as not all of them like to cooperate.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright I unsoldered the green/bare connection and tried touching every metalic part on the back with it, while keeping the instrument plugged into the amp to hear if the buzz went away.

It wasn't as simple as that since the sound went away when the connection was unsoldered (is that normal BTW?) but everytime it came back (upon contact) the damned buzz was still there. I've checked all the other connections and they seem pretty well soldered to me, any thoughts.....? :?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's plastic but I think that's a DiMarzio standard. I also have an Evo7 here waiting to be intalled in my J-custom and it also has a plastic base. It doesn't really concern the quality of the pick-up...

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
well i got word from my tech that the blaze bridge i had was a defect, and that is why it humed soo much.

So i am a little pissed but stuff happens, i just hope i can get the pos to stop humming.

as for your problem, be sure that there is a ground from the switch to the bottom of the volume pot. Also make sure you have a ground from the bottom of the tone pot to the bottom of the volume pot . Connect the green and bare back to the bottom of the volume pot. Make sure that you have the grounding wire from the spring claw connected to the bottom of the volume pot . Make sure that the 1/4 ' jack is grounded and check the connection from the hot input to the volume pot's connection lug .

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=2004&w=RG1527

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not really. I don't know how to proceed.

I tried checking the connections you mentioned but I am unsure what to look for with all the wires flyin' around in every direction and the stock pip didn't hum so I don't see how it could be any connection other than the ones I modified to install the new Blaze.

I'm trying another forum and after that it's going to a proper tech...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.