Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having tuning stability issues with my s470b lately. Every time i use the whammy bar, the g-string drops way out of tune, but the other strings stay fine. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what the problem might be? I've already tried replacing the strings, but to no avail. I don't know if its because something is wrong with the thumbwheel setup in the zr trem or if it is because of a problem with the neck (it's the first time i've used a floating trem system, so forgive me if this is a nooby question). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since you are relatively new to the site, I'll help you out here. But please use the search in the toolbar on top of the website, or good old google in the future as there are hundreds of topics on this.

Most likely, you haven't properly stretched your strings enough, so that when the tremolo is used, it pulls the G a bit, knocking your tuning off. Also, I am required by law to point you here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm as it is the first and usually last place to look for tech help with floating tremolos. Have a nice day :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link! It turns out the problem was because I tightened the locking nuts too much. Good thing it was solved before the pads were irreversibly damaged.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
By the way, after tinkering with it a bit, i found out it stays in tune if the locking nuts aren't tightened...
then tighten down your nut from the back.

Make sure you get a power drill and set the torque to the highest setting. When you get it tightened all the way with the drill, get an allen wrench and put an extension peice on it. Tighten it until you get tired.

Now go do a search and see what to do, as this has been discussed on many many guitar sites, many many times.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
then tighten down your nut from the back.

Make sure you get a power drill and set the torque to the highest setting. When you get it tightened all the way with the drill, get an allen wrench and put an extension peice on it. Tighten it until you get tired.

Now go do a search and see what to do, as this has been discussed on many many guitar sites, many many times.
radiation getting to you ?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Glad to se someone else point out the search function and the use of Google. Glad you didn't get flamed for it, too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts