Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first ibanez the gio's model grx40 (HSS) and i have 1 tonezone just laying around my box.. and i want to install them, .. help please.. thnx!

here is the old wiring for grx40, help me install my TZ?:

·
Banned
848 Posts
you have a two conductor humbucker setup

youll have to find a simple hss wiring diagram that includes a 4 conductor
hss setup...then find out what the colors are for your current ibz pups that come with it and substitute them for the 4 conductor wirring diagramin the single pup positions

·
Registered
482 Posts
attach
bare wire + green of the tone zone= Ground
black + white of tone zone= goes where the white of the stock pickup goes
Red wire from tone zone= red of the stock

·
Registered
953 Posts
Sorry -Rhaab, but looking at the diagram, the red wire of the stock pickup is used for the coil tap and the white for the output. So...

bare wire + green of the tone zone= Ground
black + white of tone zone= goes where the RED of the stock pickup goes
Red wire from tone zone = WHITE of the stock

Incidentally, there's something a bit odd about the neck pickup in the diagram, it's being tapped like the bridge, is it really a humbucker or is the diagram wrong? Either way if it works, leave it alone!
Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vimfuego, i just installed my tz according to your diagram. but i havent put a string yet.. i plugged them into my amp without strings to check if it's buzzing on TZ.. it's not buzzing on bridge at all! i've check the pup selector(5way) 1, bridge not buzzing, 2 buzzing, 3 buzzing, 4 not buzzing, 5 buzzing.. i guess there's somethings wrong? is it?

·
Banned
848 Posts
i dont know what went wrong then, if he has the wiring solution maybe you didnt attach a ground or burnt another wire, i dont know why its buzzy

i dont like those 5 ways, id suggest getting a regular 5 way and using dimarzios diagram and then substituting the stock ibz colors for the dimarzio colors

actually if you call dimarzio durring the day time, they will email you a custom diagram free of charge, i had a dimarzio evo br and a duncan distortion neck, and i called them and the tech sent me a diagram where everything went, they are good at helping out customers, but id still suggest using a regular 5 way instead of the multi that the ibz came with

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i cannot find a HSS wiring from Dimarzios site. are you saying i should get other 5 way switch?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

this is the original diagram for my guitar.. and i just want to change the bridge with my TZ.. do you have other idea's? beside's from other jemsters here.

·
Banned
848 Posts
yeah you are using a 5 way multi switch, i noticed finaly they didnt have it

shoot tech support a email, OR call them tomorow

THEY are SUPER helpfull

just tell them what you are using and htey will send you a detailed exact responce

to simplify you installation, go out and buy a dimarzio 5 way switch...not a multiswitch and not a mega switch, just a regular 5 way

then tell them all that you are using including pots, and pups in detail, they will send you a email, like i said, i got to tech support and asked them it simplified everything for me and in ten munites i was wired up!!!

good luck buddy, or if anyone super knowledgeable on the forum can help you, maybe before that youll get a hold of dimarzio

·
Registered
953 Posts
Vimfuego, i just installed my tz according to your diagram. but i havent put a string yet.. i plugged them into my amp without strings to check if it's buzzing on TZ.. it's not buzzing on bridge at all! i've check the pup selector(5way) 1, bridge not buzzing, 2 buzzing, 3 buzzing, 4 not buzzing, 5 buzzing.. i guess there's somethings wrong? is it?
Sorry, didn't see this post before!
When you say you checked without strings by listening to the buzzing, I'm a bit confused, I wouldn't expect positions 1, 2 or 4 to buzz as they are the humbucking selections.
Have you tried tapping the pole pieces with a screw driver, that's the easiest way to check if a pickup is at least connected you should get a loud click from the selected pickups, then you still need to put strings on to check the circuit properly.
As you say position 2 buzzes, then maybe the only problem is that you've selected the wrong coil of the TZ in position 2. If so, then:

bare wire + BLACK of the tone zone= Ground
RED + GREEN of tone zone= goes where the RED of the stock pickup goes
WHITE wire from tone zone = WHITE of the stock

This will select the other coil in position 2, but should leave position 1 the same.
Jim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I email dimarzio for wiring diagram and they were the same set up as vimfuegos first post. but the 2nd wiring that you told me works! a big thank you!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts