Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jemsite users. I recently found an Ibanez RG from 1986 for sale. However, I'm having my strong doubts about it, due to it having the super strat shape, like modern RG's. The pickup configuration is HSS, it's a 24-fret rosewood fretboard. The headstock has the modern Ibanez shape. Original Edge tremolo. And the knobs are in the excact same position as they are on an RG560. It has a V2 humbucker and two S1 singlecoils. Again, just like the 560. One more thing is, it doesn't say "RG-series" on the headstock. Just like some RG560's I've seen around. I was thinking it could be a 560, however, they were not in production untill 1987, as far as I can see. I don't have the serial number. I think I'll be able to get that within the next few days, though.
- I was thinking it could be possible that Ibanez made some demo models in 1986?
- What do you guys think?
- Is it possible that I fell on a demo model from 1986, if they even do exist?
Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't think any RG560 will have 'RG Series' on the headstock. That didn't start appearing on headstocks until 1994 and the RG560 was discontinued in 1992.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think any RG560 will have 'RG Series' on the headstock. That didn't start appearing on headstocks until 1994 abd the RG560 was discontinued in 1992.
Didn't know about that. Thanks. But do you think it could be a demo model, if they did happen to make some?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought it was a 560. But once I get a serial number I can now the excact age. But the guy who's selling says it's an 86. Serial number shall tell. But it could be a demo model, if they made some, am I right?
Well, anyways, now that we've established model, I'd like to ask if some DiMarzio's would prove nice for this one.
What do you guys think of a Mo' Joe in bridge, a Pro Track in neck and a Cruiser (neck) in middle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you very much. I'll post serial number as soon as I get it.

An extra note: This would be my first RG. Great way to start out, huh?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Thank you very much. I'll post serial number as soon as I get it.

An extra note: This would be my first RG. Great way to start out, huh?
Yes! A very good guitar as a starter.....even for more experienced players. These were some of the finest guitars Ibanez ever produced.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts