Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need help with picking overdrive

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  DuncanH 
#1 ·
Hey y’all, I need help finding an od that is very quiet but with lots of gain reasons are, metal!!!! My rig is a mesa boogie mark iv rackmount. But it just doesn’t have quite enough gain. So I’m using a ts9 but it is just too loud. Even with a gate in the front and the back, it’s just too much for my rig. I need something that will tighten my sound, any suggestions?

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
How are you powering your pedals? What is loud about it? Is it a humming or buzzing? If you have noise typically it's related to a grounding issue. Your worst enemy with high gain is having a daisy chain setup powering your pedals. It causes a ground loop making the signal going into the front of the amp buzz. You may need to invest in an isolated power supply.

Also for best tone, i never use pedals for gain unless it's low gain. Tubes provide the absolute best for tone. But there is a fairly cheap nice high gain pedal i am aware of! Golden plexi by tone city pedals. It's about $60 USD. Take a listen to it on YouTube, if your not impressed you'd be the first I've met haha.
I do use a daisy chain, but it's for just two pedals, it's a squealing tho. Like when I am not playing it squeals a lot. My noise gate is so high it's starting to interfere with my clean channel. I have heard that the pedal doesn't like to add much gain without squeeling it it's tons of gain. I will definitely try an isolated power supply and see if that fixes it tho. Appreciate your response!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Squealing? Sounds like it's harshly compressing your signal. The pedal it self may be the issue. If you're running an OD pedal into clean and it's squealing i would imagine the tone can't be that great. You may want to try to use your high gain channel on the messa and then adding the pedal you are using but turn the gain down on the pedal. Just to give your high gain channel a little boost.
I am using the high gain channel, I tried turning down the level on the pedal but it's not giving me enough gain. I was thinking of getting a Maxon OD808X any experience with the pedal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.