Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically my pedal board is continuing to get bigger and bigger and more and more out of hand. i came across a few artists that i've seen them rackmount all their pedals (as i now have 12 and have 5 more on their way) and use a foot controller for all of them. i've came across things like the rocktron all access which looks nice but i'd rather not drop $750 on just a controller. can any one fully explain how i would set up a midi based rig that would allow me to switch between all my effects (i'll list them all at the end) even if it would mean 2 smaller controllers which would be nice anyways with one on each side of the mic stand. i'm really really new to midi and thought it would make my life a bit easier. please help!?

pedal list
boss tu-2
boss ns-2
boss ds-1
boss v-wah
ibanez sc-10
ibanez sm-7
ibanez fz-7 (as long as i like it when it comes in)
ibanez De-7
ibanez cm-5 (same as above)
mxr stereo flanger (commander series)
dod yjm-308 preamp overdrive
electro harmonix octave multiplexer
electro harmonix russian big muff
electro harmonix small clone chorus
electro harmonix nyc small stone phaser
electro harmonix russian small stone phaser
all going into a 1965 reissue fender twin reverb

·
Registered
873 Posts
you could buy a DMC GC Pro ($400 new) and two GCX switchers ($400 new each). You won't be able to just buy a midi board and no routing systems. Even if you bought the all access for $700 you'd still need the two GCXs or something similar. There are probably cheaper units than all of these, but these are the units i use and i am very very happy with them.

EDIT: plus the fortune it will cost in cables to wire the whole thing up. and the large rack case you'd need to hold 16 pedals. you're looking at close to $2000 to wire up that much stuff plus have a decently sized case and shelves and good cables.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my next question would be with that can i program it to have each individual button hook up to a different effect pedal. as well are there any other cheaper alternatives. really i have no ideas on this stuff and would love to have a full on crash course in this if anyone is willing to teach me.

i'm going to be buying some george l's cables soon between my pedals so at about 16 each so between the 16 pedals that's about 200 for all of em. not horrible. i'd probably get a used rack and shelves for the pedals (3 of which are going to be on the floor and not rack mounted the wah, the whammy and the tuner) would it be easier to put those before the whole midi rig?

are there any other boards and switchers people can suggest. are these universal? meaning if i buy brand a's foot controller can i buy brand b's switcher?

·
Registered
157 Posts
with the gcx, you need basically 3 cables for each pedal. 2 to hook up the pedal, and 1 to go to the next loop in the gcx. i would go for a dedicated processor and save some cash.

·
Registered
873 Posts
yeha running all those pedals would be cool, but for the cost of a pedals and the cables to hook it up and the hassle of having ALL that stuff, you might as well buy a Eventide Eclipse or something. I have a G-Force for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Instead of MIDI, maybe you could use a couple true bypass loopers and bundled cables.

I found this site www.loooper.com

It'll probably be cheaper and you wont have to do programing stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts