Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 540R in Jewel Blue. At some point the black padded material that's in the tremolo route cavity on the front of the body was removed. I'm guessing it probably started to disintegrate and was removed. I'd like to restore it to how it would have looked when new. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could stick in there or if there is an exact replacement available.

In case it's not clear what I'm talking about I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is the same as that, but there is no adhesive on one side for a tool drawer foam. Not in my experience anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the links. Looking at pictures of various 540Rs of similar vintage on the web, it looks like most are missing the foam. I'm guessing over time the adhesive deteriorated and the foam fell out. Or perhaps some left the factory without the foam (doubtful). But it's definitely supposed to be there as can be seen in the catalog pictures from '87-'90. Seems easy enough to fix.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE! I went to Michael's and found this thin sheet of black foam with adhesive backing for 0.99 cents. I cut out a piece approx. 2.75" x 1.5" and it fit right into the space. Looks just like new and I didn't even have to mess with a spray adhesive. Plus I have enough left over for, like, 10 more guitars. :smile2:

Thank you everyone for your help and for steering me in the right direction. This was a much easier project than I anticipated.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Perfect, good work :)

That said, I cant help but notice you have an F1 in your bridge position. Whats up with that? Im sure its fine, Im just used to seeing F2's in the bridge

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perfect, good work :)

That said, I cant help but notice you have an F1 in your bridge position. Whats up with that? Im sure its fine, Im just used to seeing F2's in the bridge
F1 was the stock bridge pickup for the 540R (both HSS and HH). See the '88 and '89 catalog excerpts, attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've probably seen that a million times, but never had it "click" I guess. I wonder why the disparity lol. Gotta say the gray on the blue looks really nice

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow I have the same guitar but my foam is still securely in place, and it looks indistinguishable from the foam you found. great repair bruh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts