Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So the gentleman who I was going to buy a JSX from decided to keep it...and thats a bummer, as I was looking forward to it.

However, after combing the area today, I have found 2 amps that I will probably have to buy just from pictures, as the sellers have both agreed to meet me halfway, so I will be playing for the first time after I own them.

Your thoughts please on which is the better deal:

1) A Peavey Valveking Halfstack head + matching cab for $675.00 (Perfect condition)

or

2) A Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 1/2 Stack With a matching 1960A 4X12 Cab for $1,000 (Also in perfect condition)

Both these are bedroom queens that were never gigged.

I am a classic rock & blues player

Your thoughts please!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
for your style the marshall will suit you better. i like the valvekings, but i think that they are not what you need. the dsl is a versatile amp, just not super heavy. for the more vintage tones you require for classic rock and blues, hard to beat a mearshall.

rich

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I find that both these amps suck. The Marshall JCM 2000, both dsl and tsl models are garbage, we've had them in our store for a long time and i refuse to sell them to anyone. a vinyl covered box!

Sorry if i offend anyone and i certainly do not want to seem like a Peavey fan boy either, but as far as the JCM2000 is concerned, i feel it is over rated. I've also come to realize that a lot of the players who liked them either had them moded or had little experience and basically bought it because they see all sorts of old posters of their favorite axe slingers boasting walls of these. There are much better amps for the money, take a look around!
I agree, I think most people buy the jcm 2000 because its 'a marshall stack.'

They sound decent when cranked, but I wouldnt use em for lead..

if you dont mind me askin, where in montreal is your store, I am visiting the area in april and want to hit up some stores

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well i used to work in small store near my place in Terrebonne. It's a close sub-urb of Montreal. The best area in the store and in the country in my opinion is Steve's. It's in downtown montreal on St-Antoine. They own almost a whole block building. Each department is divided by stores. The first being electric guitars/bass. They have loads of gear and they've been the empire of everything music since the 60's. If you want i can arrange to meet you somewhere and we can hang out or i could show you around my hometown. We french canadians are a proud kind ;).

I can even show off my jems!

Anyways let me know kind sir!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...there is no law that says I have to buy either of these.

In reality...I really don't need a half stack.
I'd want something tube for sure.... but I want to get the thing cranked!!!

Maybe a high quality 1x12 combo??

I want AC/DC "Back in Black" tone right out of the box.... no pedals, no floor processors... just a AC/DC meets Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" album right out of the box.

Are any of the Peavey XXX Combo's any good??

What about these Epiphone Valve junior stacks I keep hearing about??

I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cool...there is no law that says I have to buy either of these.

In reality...I really don't need a half stack.
I'd want something tube for sure.... but I want to get the thing cranked!!!

Maybe a high quality 1x12 combo??

I want AC/DC "Back in Black" tone right out of the box.... no pedals, no floor processors... just a AC/DC meets Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs" album right out of the box.

Are any of the Peavey XXX Combo's any good??

What about these Epiphone Valve junior stacks I keep hearing about??

I am open to suggestions.
XXX is the JSX predecessor. It has a few minor changes in the circuitry and it doesn't have a noise gate. Other than that it's a fantastic amp. I think it's good for everything, but it still sounds to me like what you'd be more into is a Classic 30. You'll get a nice colorful mid-range of gain perfect for any 70's rock music. From Zepplin to ACDC covers, this amp does it all with prowess. You should definately check it out. The XXX can do the same too, my JSX certainly does, but i'd take the Classic 30 over the XXX any day if that's all i wanted to play.

·
Registered
246 Posts
IMO, the Peavey's are all a little too modern voiced for what you want. I'd get a Laney used or something like that before I picked up one of the newer marshalls or Peavey's.

The lower gain Oranges will do it as well.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If it's for classic rock and blues the XXX would be the wrong amp for you. It has way too much gain for that! Trust me, I have one! It's a great amp for metal though.
The JSX is very versatile and would be a better suited amp than the XXX. Plus the clean channel is much better. It isn't as mental as the XXX but you don't want it for that anyway ;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree that both amps suck big time.

If you are on a budget I would recommend to look for a Carvin V3. IMHO sounds better than a XXX for Rock/Blues. The XXX is more the metal amp.
Beware though, the Carvin has a great range of EQ settings that can screw your tone if you do not know how to setup the amp. If you do know your way though, it can give you any tone you desire, with good character.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
i nominate the classic 30 suggestion.. xxx is the wrong direction for you.. theres no need for a halfstack, and epi valve junior's SUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.. horrible, absolutely horrible

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the XXX, I like the idea of gain though.
I find that most amps I have owned in the past did not have enough gain.
I had a Laney AC210, which I didn't care for at all. The cleans where great, but the distortion sucked. Most Fender amps I have owned, same deal...awesome cleans... laughable distortion channel.

I checked out some Classic 30 clips from Youtube, and those do sound pretty good.... but I am just wondering if the XXX will give me that extra gain when I want it??

Maybe it should be pointed out that I play Fender strats most of the time.

Also, have any of you every played through a older Peavey Ultra? One of those has came up for sale local, at a very good price. The seller says these amps where what the XXX and JSX where based off of. He has a 212 combo that was just retubed and re-biased that he has $350 on. Price seems fair, and a 212 100 watt combo should have penty of power.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Solution a used Bad Cat Hot Cat 15 or 30

~1100 USD-1600 USD for a head or combo, its old school marshall meets vox with overtones of matchless cleans and bogner/diezel distortion.

Win win, I think so. For the price its impossible to resist.

My two cents.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I would pick neither of those amps, nor would I succumb to the hype of the JSX (some of the most sterile overdriven sounds I've ever heard). Let's just say that you definitely need try before you buy.

Your tonal desires definitely call for a Marshall-voiced EL34 amp though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.