Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the nut of a grx70qa while making some adjustment. I intend to get a tusq xl nut as a direct replacement. But the measurement of this nut really baffled me. Is the E to E point the most important to ensure the nut fit or the length?

Took the measurement with a digital caliper.

Length 1.654"
Width 0.10"
Height 0.15"
E to E 1.36"

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
E to E is important because that would be the string spacing. That nut is essentially a 42mm wide nut. The height doesn't matter because you can use a level surface with some 180-220 grit sand paper to either sand it thinner... Or just use a shim to shim it higher. I've used some card stock to shim a nut before. And the width isn't super important as long as it isn't a huge difference like... Comparing a les Paul nut to a strat nut. The Les Paul nut sits at the end of the fret board... Some guitars don't even have a routed shelf that sits in a small cavity. While a strat is actually embedded in the fretboard. If where your nut sits is actually a small routed spot... as long as you buy a nut that isn't smaller you could use a level surface to sand it slightly thinner as well. If need be use a inches to mm conversion tool online to get all the metric equivalent measurements as well since it's tough to find most places giving us measurements in "inches" nowadays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts