Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 ppl in our band: guitarist who sings, bassist who sings, and a drummer. We want to use a headphone amp and setup up "more me" mixes for each member. We need the right mixer to do this.

We need a mixer that has channel outputs (direct outs, aux sends) that we can feed to the headphone amp channels so we can create a "more me" mix for each member. (i.e. output the lead vocal channel to the headphone amp aux input so the singer can adjust the volume of his vocal over the base mix.
If there are no direct outs on the mixer, i read you can use the insert jack for direct out. If you do it this way, can you still apply the mixer fx and eq or will the signal be dry??

The problem we are finding out is that all the 16 channel mixers we are looking at will have one thing, but not the other. Like one mixer will have the built in fx but no busgroups, and vice versa.

We want something with fx built in so we dont have to spend more money on external gear and cables, but we need something with at least 2 sub groups for the drums and vocals.

Anyone know of a mixer that has all the routing options i mentioned? (busgroups, fx, 2+aux sends, direct outs)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
what is your budget? also, more aux sends equals more monitor mixes. the direct outs are more for recording. and yes, you can use inserts as direct outs. is audio quality as important as flexibility?

rich

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
what is your budget? also, more aux sends equals more monitor mixes. the direct outs are more for recording. and yes, you can use inserts as direct outs. is audio quality as important as flexibility?

rich
my budget was around $800. Audio quality is important, as long as the preamps aren't horrible. Flexibility is probably more of a priority because my band needs enough aux's to allow for each member to setup a "more me" mix so everyone is happy and can hear everything without turning up too loud. Overall, it will help our overall stage volume and vocals to sound much better.

I stumbled across the peavey 16fx yesterday and to my surprise this mixer has 6 aux sends, 4 subs, 2 usb drives which allow you to record/playback mp3 files and hooks up to your computer, and 2 DSP fx processors. The fx processors is what sold me because within each processor, you can have 3 fx in each, with a total of 6 simultaneous fx at once.......no other mixer has this capability. Also you can assign the Main outs with a special output fx with feedback ferret, full graphic eq, and limiter. Pretty amazing for a mixer........plus it has more outs and auxs than my band will ever need, so a huge plus.......i was able to get one for $600 new........but most retail stores sell them for $829, so i got a great deal on it.

For all the features this thing has in a 16 channel mixer, it can't be beat. I dont know of any other 16 ch mixer that has this many outs, USB, and fx processing. Another great thing is, its made in the USA. I almost bought a yamaha mixer but i'm glad i didnt because the peavey had everything i needed, and a LOT more.

I just hope the preamps on this thing are good enough. Musician's friend had a review on it, and it was very positive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts