Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New AZ Essentials series

13K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  3bolt79 
#1 ·
So, this was leaked by some online retailers a few days ago - Ibanez is looking to release a budget AZ series. So far there seem to be two models, a hardtail SSS and a HSS with a trem. $300-350 street price. I guess we'll seem them properly at summer NAMM, and whether there will be others, like HH config.

Can't get a pic of the HSS, has been pulled.

Maple (non roasted) neck, jatoba fb, poplar body, AZ switching system. Presumably generic pups. Gio level instrument by the looks of it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Looks like they're officially out. Interesting that the scale length is 25", has split shaft tuners like old Fenders and 10" radius, and Tomo Fujita seems to have been involved.

Pickups are ceramic, as we'd expect from a budget guitar. The SSS model seems to have a couple of redundant switching positions on the toggle, should've had an all three on in parallel option, and neck + bridge in series, for instance.

They'll be in the $300s by the looks of it. Kinda dig them, would try.

#17 ·
Looks like they're officially out. Interesting that the scale length is 25", has split shaft tuners like old Fenders and 10" radius, and Tomo Fujita seems to have been involved.

Pickups are ceramic, as we'd expect from a budget guitar. The SSS model seems to have a couple of redundant switching positions on the toggle, should've had an all three on in parallel option, and neck + bridge in series, for instance.

They'll be in the $300s by the looks of it. Kinda dig them, would try.

I just bought mine and returned it

#4 ·
Interesting that you're calling Squiers trash. They've actually been very well made guitars for their small outlay, really quite a bang for buck purchase for many years now.

And these AZ Essentials do look very cool. I'd be very keen to get my hands on a tremolo model, now if only they had a maple fretboard too.

#5 ·
I have a squire and it IS trash. My statement may have been a bit broad... but...the tuners are junk, crappy nut, thin body, 6 point junk trem, doesn't stay in tune, hardware came loose along with the pick guard not being secured all the way. They can absolutely be made into a great guitar with some work... And for $100-$300 I don't expect anything more.

It depends on the level of squire you start with. But just like any other low low low dollar guitar, it's going to be crappy. The one I purchased was for my wedding guest book. We had all the guests sign the guitar so we could display it in the house.

The more expensive (ones that are $300+) squires can be pretty nice. Mine however... Is definitely a piece of junk lol. Which btw, I am no guitar snob, I don't own a single guitar that cost me more than $850. I just buy used and make it what I want it to be.

#6 ·
It seems that anyone and everyone dropped their review/impression of these yesterday, ha.

A couple of thoughts:

It is a good idea that the SSS model is hardtail; the only other one I can think of offered this way is a Sq Bullet. Practically every other Strat copy from $50 up has a trem, and for a beginner to wrestle with that, mm, nah. Even those of us who know our way around a guitar always bitch about the vintage trems on budget guitars sucking 😄.

These would be competing with Sq Affinity given the price bracket, which, this year, come in three pu configs, more colours, two post trem, laurel or maple fingerboard options, and a flame veneer on the HSS. So, Sq better in terms of options, but the Affinity series has been around for a long time, and it has come of age, as it were.

The main draw of these AZs is the switching system and the neck shape. Most Ibz in the $300 price bracket have Wizardy necks, I guess, so something more traditional is a good option to have.

It's hard to judge the tone via YT demos, but the pickups sound pretty punchy - singles are bitey (tone control is handy!) and the humbucker seems pretty hawt.

Not sure about the medium frets. If they're using cheaper, softer nickel wire, they'll wear quick. But, with the 25" scale, they'll be slinky players. I agree that a maple fingerboard option would've been nice - Ibanez people can never get enough maple!

The red SSS is killer, while the HSS colours are ok but a bit subdued. Mint green, eh, I never cared for it much. I suppose the idea was to have a more restrained look.

Still, they look interesting, gotta play one to get a proper idea. I can see people who might have a Premium or Prestige getting one of these to use as a beater/mod platform.

#7 ·
I'd like to get my hands on an AZ style switch. I am going to take a js100 and fill in the 3 way switch hole... completely refinish it and add a 5 way switch setup instead... an AZ switch would be bitchin to add to that setup. They unfortunately do not sell that separately.

#8 ·
I say that and went on ebay... what do I find???!!! An H-H AZ series switch setup complete with the pots, voicing switch and selector switch all wired together $72 shipped! What are the damn chances. I am glad I read this thread this morning, it wouldn't have occurred to me to even look. I guess once I am done refinishing my 540R... the js100 will be next 😎

#9 ·
I got one of the SSS Hardtail models. I can’t believe that it’s under 300 bucks (by a penny or a buck). The pickups sound pretty good when using high gain, and have a nice presence about them when playing clean.

I am a big fan of the 25 inch scale. I have original, and reissue Fender HM strats with that scale length. It feels just a little more comfortable than 25 and 1/2 inch scale IMHO.

I went with the SSS HT version because the tremolo units in guitars in this price range usually suck, and the SSS had the option had the ability to run the middle and bridge pups together like a giant wide range Humbucker.

I didn’t buy the AZES31 as a modding platform. I will keep it stock and take it to blooze jams. This guitar is probably the biggest bang for low cash outlay there is. The fit and finish is top notch.

I did do a full set up including a level and crown when I got it, and every screw on the guitar needed snugging up. I will probably order one for my son if They are still available in November.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

#14 ·
Hmm, I do wonder if they're just pushing them out the door because of supply/demand issues. While it's been noted that for Prestige guitars and Genesis, fret/fingerboard finishing has declined somewhat, maybe it's become a wider issue since last year?

It's ok though annoying when you can fix it yourself, but for a beginner getting something in such condition, it would be a turn-off.

#15 ·
Hmm, I do wonder if they're just pushing them out the door because of supply/demand issues. While it's been noted that for Prestige guitars and Genesis, fret/fingerboard finishing has declined somewhat, maybe it's become a wider issue since last year?

It's ok though annoying when you can fix it yourself, but for a beginner getting something in such condition, it would be a turn-off.
Both of the AZES guitars were playable out of the box. A beginner could buy one of these and take it to a lesson. But they just weren’t where I wanted them to be at. I bought my Grand kids each a Mikro for Christmas.

I worked on my granddaughter’s Mikro, as I know she will actually play it. My grandson hasn’t played before. I had a guitar already for him, but he took it home and let a friend play it and broke he broke a string. I did have to take care of fret sprout on both of them, but I didn’t do a leveling on grandson’s guitar. If he actually plays it, I will dial it in a little more. I just didn’t want to put in a lot of time and work for nothing.

#18 ·
I love Ibanez, but I returned my AZ Essentials. Worse guitar I've ever bought. Mine came with a back bow that couldn't be corrected with the truss rod nor zeroed. So, I doubt there was even a fret job even down on it or leveling. Nut wasn't cut, tooling marks between every fret just about, and paint missing. Ibanez sure hyped this model with artists and influencers. What a letdown!
My Review
Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Beige Hardwood
Musical instrument String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Wood
Product Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Wood Guitar accessory
Musical instrument Tire Guitar accessory Wood Guitar

#21 ·
That definitely isn't acceptable, but every company can let sub-par ones slip through the cracks. It's not really shame on Ibanez, but on companies in general. You could have requested a replacement, and gotten something like one of 3Bolt79's two perfectly acceptable guitars, and been happy as pie again.
I fell into all the hype from youtube saying it was amazing.

Good advice! I have my eyes set on either a standard RG or get my hands on a Prestige model again. I miss the stability of the 5 piece neck.

#22 ·
My friend was over last night to have me set up her ne Epi Sheraton II. While she was here,she played both AZ’s, the Vermillion and Ivory, and then asked if she could by one off me. I told Her no, but if she gets one, I will set it up For her. @Kenmattson , neither of mine had tool marks, or paint chips. A couple of tuners on thread one weren’t perfectly straigh, but that is the extent of what was wrong with it. The Ivory one one was perfect.

I did do some fret work on both of them, which I also had to do on my eight other Ibanez guitars, including the Premium Jem. I am gonna try one with the trem next. I gave the red SSS AZES31 to my son. He will be amazed. It plays better than his Fender American SpecialStrat.

It plays better than both Of my 70’s strats, as well as my premium Jem. It’s too bad you didn’t get a replacement. If you lived near me, I could have helped you with the set up. The fingerboard could have been fixed. The paint chip probably not though.

Who did you buy it from?

#23 ·
Well I ordered an AZES 40 in blue. We shall see what the quality control is on that one.m it was 50 bucks more than the hardtail. I got the last one at AMS/Zzounds. I am looking foreword to having a guitar to work on/fiddle with. I will see how it is and report back here when I arrives next week.

#24 ·
^^ He got if from Amazon.

That is a bummer, sounds like you got unlucky with a dud. Nothing worse than looking forward to a new axe and it comes blemished and unplayable; and these are bound to generate interest because people do want a budget AZ they can mod.

Stuff like the finishing goofs and tooling marks are avoidable, though with budget friendly MIC guitars, we can't expect them to be perfect. There's also some risk in buying without seeing/playing, and I say this as someone who's bought several guitars online!

The bigger problem seems to be the neck from what you say, sounds like bad wood; short of stringing it with 13s and tuning it higher than standard to see if that does anything, not much else one can do, so a return is probably your only option. This might've even happened after it was finished. When the guitars are completed and checked, they could be fine, but en route from the factory to dealers around the world, they develop fret sprout or the necks warp.

#26 ·
Yeah, seems that way. The impression I'm getting of guitars in the $50-500 bracket is that they seem to have better hardware and pickups nowadays but wood appears to be an issue.

In any case, I'm interested in hearing about what the HSS version is like when it arrives. It has a trem, so it'll be interesting to hear whether it can be set up to work well.

#27 ·
Well, I talked to my son the other night. We were asking for clues about Christmas gifts. He said he was going to get me some shoes, and if I liked High Tops, slippers, or skater shoes (Vans). So I told him Vans. Apparently they Have something to do with Black Sabbath.

So I asked him, Hardtail, or Whammy. He said whammy. So I ordered anther Ibanez AZ with the trem and humbucker. I got the last one, and they are back ordered, and not expected until April. It was $349.00.

So I will keep the two AZES31’s, and see about getting an AZES40 for myself next year when they come back in. If the GAS get’s too bad, I can find one on Reverb. I already have a brand New gig bag for it. But if he is going to have it shipped over seas, courtesy of Uncle Sam, I have a TKL case that will fit it.

#30 ·
Well, I did find one AZES40 at Zzounds. I ordered it. Then, late last night, I ordered a GRX70Q. They both have the same bridge. So, I will have another couple of weeks of working on guitars. I just ordered a radiused sanding block from stew Mac. It should be here in a week or so.

#32 ·
I watched the video, and I will add that a properly cut nut needs no lubrication. When my AZES40 gets here, I will put roller string trees on it, if I can’t get it to work with the factory ones. I worked a Kramer Baretta Special over and got the trem to float. It stayed in tune after nut work. And the strings don’t go straight to the tuners. They were angled coming out of the nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.