Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ibanez has an artist unveiling set for this Thursday (1/21) at 3pm ET on the virtual NAMM.

The question is whether the black PIA will be a standard model or this years limited run color. And if standard, do we get an additional limited run color in 2021.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
I love the new colour scheme it might actually be my favourite ‘non-Limited edition’ finish on a Vai guitar so far, but still can’t reconcile myself to buy the ‘melted in the sun when Steve left it on the dashboard of his car’ version of the JEM that is the PIA.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Interesting..
It looks good in black.

I'd have gone with a white vine...
More PBK black n white throw back than Vegas bling. Then premiered it with by playing Die to Live.
Mind you I have a thing for white on black guitars.. Like Steve's take on the Gilmour Strat.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks classy, like a LP Custom. I think they should've done a multi-ply pickguard, so there's a faint line running around its perimeter, like the white model has.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it looks great - probably my favorite PIA so far. It's much more understated than the others and the first black Vai signature instrument in many years.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think it looks great - probably my favorite PIA so far. It's much more understated than the others and the first black Vai signature instrument in many years.
I with you on that. Heresy I know but I thought the others were hideous.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I with you on that. Heresy I know but I thought the others were hideous.
I wasn't a huge fan of any of the others either... but that black and gold one actually looks great! Reminds me of the classy look of the white/gold Jem 7vwh, if only it had a black pearloid pickguard...:grin2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This new black version is really nice looking! I wasn't a fan of the other colors either... But hey, there is certainly a Jem or Pia out there to suit everyone's taste!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love the new colour scheme it might actually be my favourite 'non-Limited edition' finish on a Vai guitar so far, but still can't reconcile myself to buy the 'melted in the sun when Steve left it on the dashboard of his car' version of the JEM that is the PIA.
As an owner of a white PIA, I unfortunately can't unsee your comment about the melted in the sun, LOL. There is some truth to it there. As I might of said earlier, the white PIA looks like something Prince would have played. For the black, I'm Johnny Cash or Wayne Newton.

That said, I played mine for a couple hours last night, and it really is an outstanding player guitar. The alder body and thicker neck give it some heft over the normal basswood JEM's. The stainless steel frets are fantastic also.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
As an owner of a white PIA, I unfortunately can't unsee your comment about the melted in the sun, LOL. There is some truth to it there. As I might of said earlier, the white PIA looks like something Prince would have played. For the black, I'm Johnny Cash or Wayne Newton.

That said, I played mine for a couple hours last night, and it really is an outstanding player guitar. The alder body and thicker neck give it some heft over the normal basswood JEM's. The stainless steel frets are fantastic also.
Don't get me wrong I WANT so badly to love the PIA, I just can't :( It does away with some of my very favourite parts of the JEM. It may very well actually be a better guitar than the JEM!!! :) I just don't like the shape of it :(

·
Registered
698 Posts
I really really want to like it, I want it to grow on me..... but just absolutely hate the petals and the slightly melted look, and the pickup covers aren't helping. So no new MIJ Jem for 2021 then... thankfully the RG565 Genesis will go some way to satisfying my GAS for 2021.

Edit: Ha, must have been typing this just as Jono replied.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the new colour scheme it might actually be my favourite 'non-Limited edition' finish on a Vai guitar so far, but still can't reconcile myself to buy the 'melted in the sun when Steve left it on the dashboard of his car' version of the JEM that is the PIA.

So, the neck on the Pia is thicker than the 7V Jem?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.