Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.blackmachine.net/

New stripped down versions, still with all the quality control etc, but cheaper! Also you get a choice of lundgrens, dimarzios or bareknuckles among other pickups.

(and before anyone complains about the price in dollars, well, we get shafted in reverse on mesa/ibanez/everything else, in fact, an RGA with bareknuckle pickups is more expenisve than these are for us, for the sake of comparing guitars with equal features, plus you get boutique custom builder options such as the body wood, and headstock overlay, plus these are hand finished, read the blurb on the site)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I like the thinness of the body, but I don't know if I'm a huge fan of the headstock. It would have to grow on me.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sound better than they look. Complete tone monsters. You'll never see one second hand unless the owner is really hard up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My housemate has a BlackMachine 7 on the way due January :)

I like the look of the new models, but think the headstock looks much better reversed. I'd consider getting one all the same (almost ordered a BM myself but chose a Suhr instead).

·
Registered
955 Posts
This excites me, but only moderately. The one black machine I tried was so thin and uncontoured it was uncomfortable. And for once, a forward headstock looks weird.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
They sound better than they look. Complete tone monsters. You'll never see one second hand unless the owner is really hard up.
Most people sell guitars because they can't afford to keep them. Or can't afford a new guitar without selling off the old...

Headstock is not so nice, but each to their own.

The headstock kinda looks like a girl who doesn't eat much !!

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
Most people sell guitars because they can't afford to keep them. Or can't afford a new guitar without selling off the old...
I think that's exactly what James is saying. In that folks who own them like them so much they don't bother buying new guitars and certainly not at the expense of their Blackmachine. I don't think I've ever seen a second hand one for sale.

They're too thin for me but the necks are fantastic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There was some noise on the Blackmachine site about experiments with OFR tremolos on the guitars but I believe the issue is the thin body and having to shorten the tremolo block to fit.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There was some noise on the Blackmachine site about experiments with OFR tremolos on the guitars but I believe the issue is the thin body and having to shorten the tremolo block to fit.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
Bah! Forget the OFR. They should just use Wilkinsons. Great trems.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I was just checking out the Black Machine site and clicked on the gallery and one of the first pics is a pic I took back in 2003.
This is Paul holding Clive's guitar.

Jono, I believe you were at that event as well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Not bad looking guitars. The overall aesthetics are a little too heavy metal for me. I don't really play that kind of music much anymore. Besides, I've got a jem, 7 string RG, and an ibanez iceman. I've met my quota for metal guitars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts