Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Carvin finally showed. Unfortunately, I now know why it was in QA for so damn long...

I appears they most likely put a fixed bridge on it and then had to go back and re-route for the floyd, because the route isn't the best fitting I've ever come across.

They also didn't install the floyd locking nut. Two thumbs way down... although I had contemplated this setup when ordering, I'm not so sure now.

So, aside from the gaffs on Carvin's part, what do I think?

On the upside:

- plays beautifully. Great setup work. It's set up basically identically to my Ibbys in terms of neck relief and action... they must be psychic.
- cool case (although it doesn't offer tons of protection, it took a hit during shipping that didn't make it to the guitar).
- stainless frets rock. They're so smooth!
- I actually don't mind the pickups (I'm not a metal guy)
- I thought they were going to **** the paint up. And when I first opened the case in a dark room, I was almost sure they had. But in the sun it's got that orange flame I was looking for. Two thumbs up!
- the string spacing seems (no, I haven't got the vernier calipers out to measure) a bit tighter than on my EdgePro Ibbys. I like it.
- I didn't really think you could improve on the AANJ for upper fret access, but I was wrong. The neck through really opens things up even more. Super comfy.

On the downside:

-WTF? How about some bubble wrap around the case for shipping?
- the forgot the locking nut :wallbash: Guess if I'm going to keep it I'll be ordering a tremol-no and making this my hard tail guitar with fine-tuners....
- along the lines of the the previous point, for someone used to playing Ibbys, the way the whammy bar sits and the spring tension of the trem is pretty bad... given, I'm not used to it, but it's really tight and the bar sits at a funny angle.
- I'm not sure what they strung the thing with, but the low B is a bit floppy and everything else is a bit tight. I'll restring...
- some of the finish work is a little iffy... like where they painted over the side of the fretboard in the upper register. I know they tape off the back of the neck, fine, but spraying the sides of the board is a little weird. And then there's the floyd route... I mean, it works fine, but for $1500 beans I expect perfection.
-the forearm cutout is too small, and the body shape makes it awkward to play sitting down

I'll see if I can post some sound clips later.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Agreed. I would send it back immediately. There's no way you should put up with bad routes or mistakes on what is supposed to be a custom guitar built to the spec you asked for. Tell them to put a white Carvin logo on there too, you can't barely even see the black one. What were they thinking?

Aside from this, it's not a bad looking guitar. The Floyd copy is ugly, though. I'd choose a fixed bridge and cherry sunburst finish with black hardware. Yum.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Send it back. I can't believe you kept the guitar. Send it back and get them to send you a brand spanking new one and give you a kickass discount for their f-up.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah man, this isn't like buying a sweater with a dangling thread. his is an expensive custom instrument.

Plus, now you said you have to buy the tremel-no and make it a hardtail. Spend more money on it so you can't use it properly because of their mistake?

That's bad logic my friend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, it's not a crime against nature that there's no locking nut. As I mentioned, I'd contemplated ordering this setup, because Carvin do indeed offer the Floyd without the locknut, ala JP7. It's not like no one else has or is selling guitars in this configuration.

Whether or not I keep it comes down to how well I like what I ended up with and how I like the sound it makes. Any dealings with Carvin to compensate me will of course be looked on favorably.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tell them to send you one routed for an Edge Pro 7, haha.... well, actually, there's no chance that they'll do that, for policy reasons. But, I don't know how useful that Floyd rip off is on those 7 string Carvins.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jp's music man doesn't have micro tunings so it's not a floyd.If it would have a locking nut you won't be able to tune that guitar without unscrewing the locking nut.So obviously Jp's guitars CAN'T have a locking nut.It's not an option.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Hmmm. You mean you're actually thinking that you should contemplate keeping a guitar you didn't order that has serious flaws?

Hmmm. I hope you never go to the used car lot to buy a car.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
I can't believe carvin did that !
Floyd without a locking nut !
Seriously nobody there saw it ???!!!
Crap quality control,maybe drunk quality control.
This is how all Carvins come by default, as they all come with Sperzel locking tuners. You have to request a locking nut to get one. If you order the locking nut and it doesn't come with, then yeah, they screwed up the order. If you don't order the locking nut, you won't get one and it won't be a mistake on their part. You don't order it, you don't get it, simple as that.

Tell them to send you one routed for an Edge Pro 7, haha.... well, actually, there's no chance that they'll do that, for policy reasons. But, I don't know how useful that Floyd rip off is on those 7 string Carvins.
It's not a 'Floyd rip off', it's a high quality licensed Floyd. They work fine.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Pay attention, dudes!!!

Carvin guitars with Floyd Rose may or may not come with locking nut!!!

Go to the custom guitar page and check it out: locking nut is an optional.
However, all Carvins are loaded with Sperzel locking tuners!!!

One thing I do not like on Carvin's 7-strings is the licensed FR. :|
That is unacceptable!!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.