Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on a Neck through swirl recently and thought, why not try the same concept on a bolt on. I know it's kind of a crazy idea but I figured it would make for an interesting multicolor theme. Both the body and neck are from a RG7620 guitar. I went ahead and cut a side jack into the bottom to make it more of a HxH UV body.

Here are a few pic of both the body and neck. Both where swirled in matching DNA fashion. This one ended up having more of a traditional balance of colors with the pinks and reds being more dominant. As for the neck you need not worry, I striped the neck past the clear and sealer before applying the swirl paint and did NOT paint the fingerboard. I applied a neon green Ibanez check logo. I did have a pink UV decal for the bottom but weeding the vinyl wasn't a fun task today so I just went with green instead. They were originally supposed to be Green Check, Pink UV logo because of the green patch at the tip but the green on green came out nice. The GR,GR logo does have more separation in person.

I'm going to install alternating Green, Pink, and maybe Red Dot inlays to brighten up the front of the neck. With the swirl on the neck you know I had to have something other than just white dots. Maybe do a 4 fret scallop? One of the newest things I will also be using are Powder Coated Green tuning buttons. Yes, green tuning heads! Next we begin clear coat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:Completed Full Swirl DNA HxH Universe Project! Body, Headstock and Neck Swirled!

Here are the completed pics of the DNA Full Swirl. I also installed pickups from a Green Dot Universe as well as multicolor dot inlays. It was hard to capture every angle of the swirl in the photos since there's so much of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,322 Posts
I have to say, I think you've got the colours, the vibrancy, the balance all down perfectly :)

I'd like to see a little bit more "swirl" and a little less "stripe" perhaps (not the up down up that are often seen on the afternarket swirls) but yeah, overall, these are fantastic :)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I have to say, I think you've got the colours, the vibrancy, the balance all down perfectly :)

I'd like to see a little bit more "swirl" and a little less "stripe" perhaps (not the up down up that are often seen on the afternarket swirls) but yeah, overall, these are fantastic :)
Yeah man I agree with this. It would put these swirls over the top if they had more swirl and less stripe to them. The necks especially kind of remind me of a candy cane or that fruit stripe gum... You're doing an awesome job on these regardless man!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
LOL... I bet you don't get an answer to that question :mrgreen:
:) But frankly I do not see why this information should be kept secret (unless the formula is unique and proprietary). That's why we have a community here.

I am interested in paints as I like the colors and my wife could use them for the stuff she does (anya-k.com) especially when someone orders a custom guitar strap for such swirled guitars.
So if by any chance you can share the info I'd be obliged...

Again, swirl is a killer!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
:) But frankly I do not see why this information should be kept secret (unless the formula is unique and proprietary). That's why we have a community here.

I am interested in paints as I like the colors and my wife could use them for the stuff she does (anya-k.com) especially when someone orders a custom guitar strap for such swirled guitars.
So if by any chance you can share the info I'd be obliged...

Again, swirl is a killer!
No pro swirler will ever give you that information unless they are going out of business. A swirl method is definately unique and the best swirlers have put countless hours into perfecting their technique.

You are basically asking for the Coke recipe.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No pro swirler will ever give you that information unless they are going out of business. A swirl method is definately unique and the best swirlers have put countless hours into perfecting their technique.

+1

Cheers,

Sam.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Agree and understand it, was interested just in colors...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts