Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw the new Edge III bridge in the 2005 Ibanez catalog and was wondering if this would fit in the new (current) JS production models?

I have always been a fan of the original Edge bridge and this new Edge III is supposed to be similar in construction and feel to the original Edge. The new Edge Pro bridges don't seem as good to me, since they allow for lower profile at the cost of less pull-up (can't pull up on the bar as much).

Does anyone have any opinions about this? I know that the original Edge doesn't fit in the current JS models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I've searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to my question. Basically, people are saying that the new Edge III doesn't compare to the original Edge and is just Ibanez's way of not paying FR fees.

I'm still wondering if an Edge III will fit in the rout of an Edge Pro.... guess no one knows till people start buying the guitars and trying it out...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Yes it'll fit but swapping it is not a great idea.
First of all unlike the Edge pro, EPII and Edge III are NOT made by Gotoh but by some other company in Korea so the alloy/design/construction will not be of the same quality.
Second and this is the more important thing - if you need more pullup you'll need to shim your neck regardles of trem.
Google "neck shim" or ask your friendly local guitar tech about it and ask them to do it.
Make sure the tech is old enough to have seen and worked on FR guitars and he(she)'ll know what to do.

ilia

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damo7v said:
you want to replace an edge pro with an edge pro III???

respectfully, you're a crazy man!
I prefer the feel of the original Edge over the new Edge pros... that's why I want to replace the Edge pro with the Edge III. I haven't actually seen an actual Edge III in real life and since everyone's been saying that the Edge III is of really bad quality, I'm having second thoughts...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dex said:
Yes it'll fit but swapping it is not a great idea.
First of all unlike the Edge pro, EPII and Edge III are NOT made by Gotoh but by some other company in Korea so the alloy/design/construction will not be of the same quality.
Second and this is the more important thing - if you need more pullup you'll need to shim your neck regardles of trem.
Google "neck shim" or ask your friendly local guitar tech about it and ask them to do it.
Make sure the tech is old enough to have seen and worked on FR guitars and he(she)'ll know what to do.

ilia
That's a really good point about the neck shim... I probably won't be swapping Edge pros for Edge IIIs anytime soon. It was just an idea I had. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The Edge III is the same quality as an Edge Pro II. But if you're talking about swapping trems, then you should look for something of a higher quality and not a lower quality.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
chemicalmagical said:
that's why I want to replace the Edge pro with the Edge III. I haven't actually seen an actual Edge III in real life...
the fact that ibanez uses the edge pro for it's top models and the edge pro III for it's lesser offerings should give you enough of an idea as to the quality of each without even touching either.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I wish people would stop calling it an "Edge Pro III." If you've actually looked at the thing then you know that it's definitely not in the Edge Pro direct family of trems. To me, it is visually more attractive than an EP/EPII but be assured that it's the same quality as an EPII. Also, to my knowledge the Edge III will not directly swap with any other trem. Of course, if the distance from post to post is the same then it might actually fit the same route as an EPII but I dunno. I do know that it's not as long as the EP/EPII trems.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Someone here already tried that. The Edge III may fit in the rout, but likely won't intonate right. It's the same deal as between the LoPro and the EdgePro. The EdgePro, Edge III, etc. will not directly swap with anything else without modifications to the guitar. If pull-up is the issue, you still wouldn't gain much without a shim or some routing (which would work with your EdgePro also). And as mentioned, that would be a step down. Personally I really like the EdgePro.

You need a JS with a Lion's Claw. Or do some routing and put a real Edge on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Having owned a JEM555 03 (sold) with a EP2 I have to say it's a world's difference compared to either the original edge on my rg550 and the lo-pro on my JEM7V. Now the EP2 is not a horrible trem. It's simply not as good as it's older counterparts. Having said that I'm going to guess the edge 3 is going to fit in the same league as the EP2. I'm sure you can find an original edge somewhere on **** or maybe Rich's site.

Or, if I'm not mistaken you should be able to swap out the edge pro with either the edge or lo-pro. (not sure about this...confirmation?)

·
Registered
148 Posts
btangel said:
Having owned a JEM555 03 (sold) with a EP2 I have to say it's a world's difference compared to either the original edge on my rg550 and the lo-pro on my JEM7V. Now the EP2 is not a horrible trem. It's simply not as good as it's older counterparts. Having said that I'm going to guess the edge 3 is going to fit in the same league as the EP2. I'm sure you can find an original edge somewhere on **** or maybe Rich's site.

Or, if I'm not mistaken you should be able to swap out the edge pro with either the edge or lo-pro. (not sure about this...confirmation?)
Not without some routing, you're not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ryanb said:
Someone here already tried that. The Edge III may fit in the rout, but likely won't intonate right. It's the same deal as between the LoPro and the EdgePro. The EdgePro, Edge III, etc. will not directly swap with anything else without modifications to the guitar. If pull-up is the issue, you still wouldn't gain much without a shim or some routing (which would work with your EdgePro also). And as mentioned, that would be a step down. Personally I really like the EdgePro.

You need a JS with a Lion's Claw. Or do some routing and put a real Edge on it.
Thanks for all the replies; it's been really informative but I think perhaps I'm not making myself clear. There seems to be some misconception about what I'm asking...

I see how the neck shim might work, but I don't see a need for a Lion's Claw. I own a JS1000 (older model) and put an original Edge trem on it. It gives me enough pull-up without a neck shim or further routing.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
chemicalmagical said:
The new Edge Pro bridges don't seem as good to me, since they allow for lower profile at the cost of less pull-up (can't pull up on the bar as much).
You were complaining about less pull-up, and wanting to switch the trem to an Edge III (more like the Edge design). I guess none of us know what you are asking.

Is your lack of pull-up because of the trem bottoming out, or because the strings bottom out, or what? You'll get a different answer depending on where your problem is. If the problem is because the trem is too deep in the body, a shim probably is the answer you need.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ryanb said:
You were complaining about less pull-up, and wanting to switch the trem to an Edge III (more like the Edge design). I guess none of us know what you are asking.

Is your lack of pull-up because of the trem bottoming out, or because the strings bottom out, or what? You'll get a different answer depending on where your problem is. If the problem is because the trem is too deep in the body, a shim probably is the answer you need.
That's a very good point. The trem bottoming out is my complaint. Anyway, I was just expecting a simple answer; didn't expect to cause any headaches. Thanks to everyone for answering my question!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts