Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like ESP is introducing a new Alexi Laiho model and since this was actually announced on the North American ESP site and not just the Japanese site, I'm assuming that this new ESP Alexi Laiho model is available in the US(along with it's LTD counterpart).

This new model is kinda ugly IMO and it's STILL got that EMG-HZ4 in it. At least one guitar company is listening to it's customers.. (kinda..). Here's the link to the official announcement on the US ESP site:

http://www.espguitars.com/news/news_alexi.htm

(PS. I just noticed that the new George Lynch model is just FUGLY)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I remember wanting these axes a good 3 years ago. Haha don't you love how things change?

Nice find though. They will probably sell plenty here in the states. Now 1 out of every 4 15-year-old musicians will be a little Alexi. ;)

Suprised Jackson hasn't done anything to ESP about borrowing the model. Although, Laiho switched to esp from jackson. Something to think about. :p

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see the LTD Alexi V's selling to all the teenagers wanting to be Alexi. Seeing that Jackson is now Fender, I can see a potential lawsuit coming. Mind you, the ESP V is just different enough from the Jackson Rhoads V to actually win the case if Jackson were to sue ESP.

(btw, Alexi didn't switch to ESP because they were better, rather he switched because he needed a guitar built after his gear was stolen and Jackson would take too long to build one. ESP on the other hand told him he could have a custom v built in 3-months[gotta love that urethane]. None the less, I still like ESP's better than Jacksons myself. At least just the Japanese domestic ones)

·
Registered
970 Posts
buddroyce said:
(btw, Alexi didn't switch to ESP because they were better, rather he switched because he needed a guitar built after his gear was stolen and Jackson would take too long to build one. ESP on the other hand told him he could have a custom v built in 3-months[gotta love that urethane]. None the less, I still like ESP's better than Jacksons myself. At least just the Japanese domestic ones)
Hehe I know. Sad story ain't it? haha. Used to be a bit of a CoB junkie myself. ;)

I'm a jackson guy. Never really got into ESP too much. However, I would be if Mustaine came out with an actual cool guitar. ;)
Some of their models are a little too stale or over-exaggerated for me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
They look nice, though I can't imagine that the LTD will be much cheaper given the ESP is £3000+ (in the UK anyway).

Talking of LTD I wouldn't mind trying one of these

Does anyone know what the difference is between the ESP and LTD models barring the price difference?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Curious, that white ESP has filled in pinstripes, whereas the old sig model on the UK ESP site (the £3000) has the two seperate, thin pinstripes just like his model. Perhaps this new model is different because it is being mass-produced, rather than sort of just a collectable, elite custom shop model.

On a different vein, why would even the most hardcore Bodom fan pay £3000 for an essentially basic Rhoads, whose 'custom options' are in fact a downgrade; no tone pot, one EMG HZ (the 'merits' of which have been discussed enough already across this forum and others lol).

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
NeglectedField said:
They look nice, though I can't imagine that the LTD will be much cheaper given the ESP is £3000+ (in the UK anyway).

Does anyone know what the difference is between the ESP and LTD models barring the price difference?
Looks strikingly like the KH model ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
58 Posts
NeglectedField said:

Same difference as Ibanez one is made in korea and the other japan.What's funny and I've heard this from a few guys that work in the Industry most guitars that come from overseas either korea or japan are all made in the same factory just different brands.But the quality overseas has drastically improved over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
809 Posts
ESPs are nice guitars. I would like to own old Mirage model or new M-II with maple fretboard and EMG's. Horizon's are nice too but I don't like them so much because they don't have forearm cut's and it really bothers me. Standard ESP M-II costs here about 1480euros and LTD M-1000 is about 1000euros. It's a shame they sell Mirage models only in black finish, it's kinda boring, purple would look great just like Michael Romeo's old ESP's.

·
Registered
970 Posts
learningtolive said:
Curious, that white ESP has filled in pinstripes, whereas the old sig model on the UK ESP site (the £3000) has the two seperate, thin pinstripes just like his model. Perhaps this new model is different because it is being mass-produced, rather than sort of just a collectable, elite custom shop model.

On a different vein, why would even the most hardcore Bodom fan pay £3000 for an essentially basic Rhoads, whose 'custom options' are in fact a downgrade; no tone pot, one EMG HZ (the 'merits' of which have been discussed enough already across this forum and others lol).
i'm suprised that the "filled in pinstripes" are not just black bevels. the jackson RR5 has the actual black pinstripes as well which is probably the reason these do not.

People want to be like Laiho; however, i think the HZ and the one volume knob do not create a nice guitar. ;) I agree with you. Why spend that amount of money on a guitar that's a "downgrade" from the Jackson RR series. In my opinion, the don't even look as nice either. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nordhauser said:
i'm suprised that the "filled in pinstripes" are not just black bevels. the jackson RR5 has the actual black pinstripes as well which is probably the reason these do not.

People want to be like Laiho; however, i think the HZ and the one volume knob do not create a nice guitar. ;) I agree with you. Why spend that amount of money on a guitar that's a "downgrade" from the Jackson RR series. In my opinion, the don't even look as nice either. ;)
You are right but it's Laiho's signature model so that's how it goes, probably his dream guitar but not mine. Maybe there is someone else who likes it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
shredfreak said:
You are right but it's Laiho's signature model so that's how it goes, probably his dream guitar but not mine. Maybe there is someone else who likes it.
Nordhauser said:
They will probably sell plenty here in the states. Now 1 out of every 4 15-year-old musicians will be a little Alexi. ;)
Again, they won't have any problems selling that ugly heap. Ain't my dream guitar either. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's pretty cool although the original Alexi Laiho signature is much MUCH nicer:

old:

new:

The new one looks almost like a normal V.

I like the SV Standard most though. It's a shame they don't make these in North America. :(

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well.. ESP would have to make the body a bit different to release it in North America. The old ESP V's were practically identical to the Rhoads V's and ESP had to have to way so that they wouldn't get sued by Jackson/FMIC.

After many years and buying way too many guitars, I can tell you that LTD's are about as good as the ESP standard series(the versions available in North America), just cheaper.. provided that you get a higher end LTD(as in made in Korea). Interesting enough however is that the ESP Standard Series(for North America) and ESP Original Series(for japan only) feel very different and also carry about a $1000 difference in price tag. While an ESP MII-Deluxe over here costs about $1500 for the standard series, it's like $2500 over there for the same model in thier Original Series. My guess is that the North American ESP's must roll out of the same production line as ESP's Edward brand of guitars.

I should point out that In Japan they don't actually have LTD models, instead they have ESP(handcrafted on a made to order basis only), Edwards (also made in Japan, but mass produced) and finally thier Grass Roots line which is made in Korea(essentially it's an LTD rebranded).

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I would love to own one!
But they are so expensive in the UK, its rediculous. Even the LTD models will cost a fortune. Let alone the £3000+ ESP model. But I have ALWAYS loved his guitars - but have always felt them to be "out of reach" in terms of getting one myself realistically.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know that this model is "downgraded", but when you compare it to the Jackson RR series, keep in mind that Alexi DOES use the 24 frets, that his guitar comes with 24 frets, and that, unfortunately, if one wanted a RR with 24 frets, you have to pay a custom for an ungodly sum, or import it for japan for a undemi-godly sum. I think the 24 frets is they key here.

also, about the HZ, i do wonder why it is that they put that pickup on this guitar. The only answer I have, apart from cost, is that Alexi and others actually used similar passive jackson pickups on their custom models. In his older albums he actutally doesn't use that much gain (he used a mid-gain preamp i believe).

Edit....... I don't like this particular V.. I think i much prefer the shorter wings of the RR than this stocky little V

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
the.godfather said:
I would love to own one!
But they are so expensive in the UK, its rediculous. Even the LTD models will cost a fortune. Let alone the £3000+ ESP model. But I have ALWAYS loved his guitars - but have always felt them to be "out of reach" in terms of getting one myself realistically.
£3000+?????

Regards

André

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.