Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it cost for a fret job, i was looking at getting a beater ibanez and fixing it, the neck needs some finish work and it also needs to be refretted, i was thinking about 60, i would buy the fret wire but is 60 low, high, about right ?

i have done some finish work before but never messed to much with redoing necks or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wouldn't do any refret for less than $225 these days. If you find someone to do it for less than that, I would recommend you ask to see examples of their work first. It's not that a $160 refret would be bad, heck I've done refrets for free, for friends in need. It's just that after you do enough (>50 minimum) to really hone your skills you realize the time and effort involved is not worth minimum wage. Instead it's worth at least what a seasoned union laborer makes, if not more, because it's really an art form.

If someone's idea of refretting is to simply take the old frets out, sand the board level, and then put new ones in, they're really missing the boat. It's a chance to make the neck all that it could be. You can compensate for all the weaknesses of the neck wood and truss rod, while augmenting the strengths. Again, price alone is not a determining factor. There are plenty of hacks out there charging $225+ for the same crappy refret you'd pay $130 for. So I guess regardless of price you should see examples of the work. Generally if someone is a guitar builder they'll have a deeper knowledge of the relationship between frets and neck tension, but not always. If you find a guitar tech who also makes guitars, ask to see the guitars. If they're awesome then you found a winner. (assuming they're making their own necks)

But if you were thinking about $60, then maybe that guitar isn't such a good deal, I don't know. A good gauge is to ask "once refretted, is this going to be a pro caliber neck?" If it's a nice Japanese Ibanez it probably will be.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok maybe the guitar isn't such a good thing. It has a nice lo-pro in it and i was going to swap the one on my guitar out and then fix the beater up, 200 for new frets though put a damper on things. Well guess i will just have the bit the bullet and get just a lo-pro from rich or on ****, this way i though i could save, i would get a good bridge and have another guitar.

thanks for the help guys. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
frankfalbo said:
I wouldn't do any refret for less than $225 these days. If you find someone to do it for less than that, I would recommend you ask to see examples of their work first. It's not that a $160 refret would be bad, heck I've done refrets for free, for friends in need. It's just that after you do enough (>50 minimum) to really hone your skills you realize the time and effort involved is not worth minimum wage. Instead it's worth at least what a seasoned union laborer makes, if not more, because it's really an art form.

If someone's idea of refretting is to simply take the old frets out, sand the board level, and then put new ones in, they're really missing the boat. It's a chance to make the neck all that it could be. You can compensate for all the weaknesses of the neck wood and truss rod, while augmenting the strengths. Again, price alone is not a determining factor. There are plenty of hacks out there charging $225+ for the same crappy refret you'd pay $130 for. So I guess regardless of price you should see examples of the work. Generally if someone is a guitar builder they'll have a deeper knowledge of the relationship between frets and neck tension, but not always. If you find a guitar tech who also makes guitars, ask to see the guitars. If they're awesome then you found a winner. (assuming they're making their own necks)

But if you were thinking about $60, then maybe that guitar isn't such a good deal, I don't know. A good gauge is to ask "once refretted, is this going to be a pro caliber neck?" If it's a nice Japanese Ibanez it probably will be.
Actually, I was quoting LGM's price. :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Most of the time, you won't need a full re-fret (unless the frets are totally chewed). A level, crown and polish will get all but the worst worn frets back to playable condition for far less expense and stress to the guitar.

Regular frets typically shouldn't need to be replaced any more than two or three times over a guitar's entire life.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
$160USD for Jeremy's refret is a steal. If any of you need a refret, now's the time before he gets wise.

If the guitar has a lo-pro, I assume it's Japanese, and it would probably be worth a refret if it's necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts