Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a great deal on this. I had to sell pretty much everything else to pay for it (I try and work a zero sum game on my guitar hobby) but it's worth it. I used to work at Washburn and had a N4 back then that I liked too, but this one is even better.

White stain on Swamp Ash with aged copper hardware. Really cool up close- almost bronze looking. I really like it on the White, and it just stands out a bit. So here are some pics for the interested:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Really nice axe. I have wanted one of those for a long time, though I have never had one in my hands. Can you compare the neck to anything else, e.g., a Strat, or a JEM?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Very special combo there with the white and the copper. I like it. It's nice. Wasn't there also an N4 that was covered in suede once? I liked that one.

I'm curious about the neck, too.

Alwin

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm also interested in the neck dimensions.
Please compare it to a JEM neck.
And the Stephen's Extended Cutaway, how do you compare it to the AANJ.

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
'Davies' N4?

Alwin
Stephen Davies as in the "Stephens Cutaway" built the first run of N4s out of his shop in Seattle. Those models are called "Davies" models.

-From Wikipedia

The N4 was the result of a collaboration between Nuno Bettencourt, Washburn and the Seattle-based luthier Stephen Davies. It has since become Nuno Bettencourt's main guitar. It's part of the Washburn guitars N-series (Nuno Bettencourt Signatures) which includes the N1, N2, N3, N4, N5, N6 and N8 (no N7 to this date, N8 being an "N4 times 2" since it's a double neck).

The design was finalized during mid 1990 and released by Washburn guitars in December 1990. Although it had 'Washburn' stamped on the headstock and sold by Washburn guitars, the first models were actually hand made by Davies' workshop in Seattle from the end of 1990 to the beginning of 1992. After that, Washburn started producing it in its own custom shop in Chicago.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the N4 club..

I LOVE both of mine

For me they are simply the best instruments I've played in my 30+ yrs of playing.
Sorry guys ,but for me they're better than the Jems I've owned..

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really nice axe. I have wanted one of those for a long time, though I have never had one in my hands. Can you compare the neck to anything else, e.g., a Strat, or a JEM?
I can try- I just had it in the house with a RG1570, so that will be the easiest comparison. The N4 is not as thin as the RG. The RG has a flatter back, and a thinner overall feel, while the N4 is a rounder feel. Strat like for sure, but there are so many Strat necks out there it is hard to say it's like a Strat. The neck is unfinished, however, so it has that fast maple kind of vibe- most, or all, Fender necks I've come across are finished in one way or another. The frets are jumbo as well, and the Ebony board is fairly thick.

The body is the winner,though. The Swamp Ash body is very light- way lighter than most. And with the open finish, Swamp Ash body and Ebony fretboard, and Lawrence humbucker is is a very bright guitar. But lively- not thin. It has certainly got its own character!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm also interested in the neck dimensions.
Please compare it to a JEM neck.
And the Stephen's Extended Cutaway, how do you compare it to the AANJ.
The Stephen's and AANJ are totally different beasts. The AANJ is there to put your hand against. With the Stephen's, there just isn't anything. Truthfully, it wasn't a huge deal for me to switch for one to another, but I don't have a problem with the old Ibanez neck joints either. Here are a few closeups of the neck joint:

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
For what it is worth, the N4 "vintage" has a thinner neck more like the actual guitars that Nuno plays.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Thank you for the info and the pics, jallen.
I really would like to try this Stephen's thing.
It looks amazing.
Although they could use the potential to make a 24-fret neck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts