Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with two humbuckers Seymour Duncan pickups

I hope they will produce these J-custom with more color option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting... so the EMGs may be dropped this year from one of my favourite RGs ever.

Is the Jazz much different from the Air Norton you'd find on the RG8470? Aren't they quite similar?

I would like to hear how a SD Custom sounds in a J-Custom - it seems to have a lot of thumbs up on various boards for a tight low end. But anything H-H with a bridge other than a Tone Zone is a bonus in my book lol. (They're not too similar, are they?)

Does this mean the '08 SD equipped RG8420ZD will have deeper pickup cavities than the '07 EMG equipped RG8420F? I'm just wondering how easy it is to swap between SDs, EMGs and Dimarzios. (I know about swapping the pots etc, this is purely a question about cavity depth if anyone knows...)
Dimarzios require the shallowest cavities and Duncans the deepest, yeah? But where do EMGs fit in this scale? I'm trying to work out if I could take last year's model with EMGs and swap them out for SDs without needing to use a router. I have my reasons...but it's complicated!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Interesting they changed to SD pups.

Beautiful guitars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you guys think the new Edge-Zero trem is good? I would hate to buy a JC to find out the EZ is a flop trem system, or has many flaws. Any input on this matter?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Do you guys think the new Edge-Zero trem is good? I would hate to buy a JC to find out the EZ is a flop trem system, or has many flaws. Any input on this matter?
We are still waiting on the answer for this but until these trems get into players hands for long enough to form a qualitfied opinion, we just won't know.

I would hope Ibanez still gets the benefit of the doubt since they felt confident enough to put the EZ in JC's, time will tell if the benefit of doubt is rightly given ;)

I personally hope they are quality stable bridges since I'm looking into a couple new models this year. Let's also hope that if they turn out to not be up-to-snuff, that older IBZ trems can be retro-fitted ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wish these were available in the states. I know you can order from Japan, but having them in a store in the US would be awesome. I don't think they would take from Prestige sales, as these are a step up. For example, look at all the models available for the Gibson LP. I'm not saying Ibanez doesn't have a wide range of guitars, they do. It is just that the best of the line is not offered outside of Japan. The red one is one of the best looking guitars ever IMO.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
So are those an SD Custom Custom and a Jazz?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I wish these were available in the states. I know you can order from Japan, but having them in a store in the US would be awesome. I don't think they would take from Prestige sales, as these are a step up. For example, look at all the models available for the Gibson LP. I'm not saying Ibanez doesn't have a wide range of guitars, they do. It is just that the best of the line is not offered outside of Japan. The red one is one of the best looking guitars ever IMO.
You can still order them from Rich I guess.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Should have the guitars in purple color. That would be more interesting...
Trans-purple and gold hardware.
C'mon! Don't make things more difficult, man! :D I am pretty sure the folks in Japan are having a hard time trying to choose between 4 LOOOVELY axes!

I don't know which one I'd choose... honest! I'd just try them all and go for the best tone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone else like the new pickups?

I wonder if I should get this guitar or go with some other high end brand instead? Are J-Customs really that good compared to other guitars in this price range?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
IMHO, bang for the buck and if you are a big RG fan, YES, JC's are the real deal.

Thanks for the link Crazy G (your new gangsta name ;) :lol:).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts