Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted a Passion and Warfare Universe, but the price of 7 string parts is just too expensive, so was thinking of buying the cheapest 7 string i could find & just cut & shut, replace fingerboard & swirl it. Couldn't find much on the bay - so 6 string it is.. but thought I'd try building my first neck also.
Fretboard was made about 6 months ago & has been sitting around waiting to be used.
Spent last week making templates from my GMC body that I got from the awesome Jaden Rose . Also made the scratchplate while I was waiting for the wood to arrive.

Routed pickups

body outline

Tomorrow, more shaping, body contours & lions claw

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Al - in like flint...good work. The chrome I just sanded & resprayed without any any clear, looks nice on the wall! I've actually played it as much of the rest of the gits & its holding up quite well,.. but will end up looking like a chromeboy relic. Yeh going to go to try a PAW swirl & I might even do some testing on the three template above.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did some more today, the claw is never fun without a cnc machine. Mark up the body, 10mm, then 1mm gap, then 10mm etc, make sure the router doesn't slip sideways & go for it.

The garage is covered in dust & shavings as usual

Loads more sanding to do but its getting there & remember to use a fully charged drill when doing the neck screw holes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow Andy looking good man.

You using Basswood or Alder, i cant really tell.
How did you get the trem pin housings in/out as i may have to do that on a future project. Started to sand my 1527 down today too so watch out for a build thread in a subforum near you.

CD

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys,
Ben its basswood, got to be real careful not to ding it. With trem inserts, getting them out put a bolt in, then easy it up with a claw hammer, block of wood to protect the body & be careful to easy it up as straight as possible. Putting them in I've got no drill press, so hand drill them in a straight as possible & triple check your placement. Push them in same thing but a bolt in the insert & tap them in.
Started on the first neck attempt

and glued the board on

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks andy.
Your necks looking good as man, as is the status of this project.

Yeah ive been Uber carful with my RG body. Gearing up to post thisafternoon after some serious sanding, even though the weathers avarage... still Yoga first.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
littlephil, the blank I used was 750mm long & was only just long enough. I was having real trouble getting my head round where the scarf should be & had to hold another neck along side it to get it straight. On mine the headstock bit ended up being 270mm but don't quote me, draw it out on paper, cut it out if you have to,to get it sussed.
Broke my drill the other day so picked a a bargin off the bay - drill, jigsaw & sander for £15.99
Jigsaw cut the rough outline, then onto a bit of sanding

started very rough shaping with a spokeshave - another bay bargin 5 quid

plenty more to take off

1 - 20 of 63 Posts