Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in this video Steve mentions that Ibanez is going to be doing something 'different' with the Jem for NAMM 2020:

I know that they always do something different, but the way he says it it actually sounds 'different':grin2:

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah probably a sustainer. Lame to me.

I want a swirl, a GMC reissue. I’m not into JEMs like I use to be. I like Fenders, Gibsons and PRSs, but a GMC would make me buy one.

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
I still think the JEM is the best guitar in the world, but I don’t recall the last production model that made me go “wow”.

I get that Steve is 60 next year and no longer tours with DLR or Whitesnake and so maybe doesn’t want a guitar that looks like curtains or swirl, but I wished he would remember that lots of folks still like to think that we ‘could’ have had those gigs and want an appropriate NEW guitar!!!

Even when Kiesel are doing their weird bursts and j customs are available in all sorts of finishes, there’s still not been anything quite like the Multicolour JEMs or the Florals...

·
Registered
470 Posts
If they brought out a Prestige swirl Jem I would definitely buy it, I am interested in the sustainer though. Lets be honest though there hasn't been anything exciting aside from anniversary editions for a long time, most of the new models have been premiums, I don't want to spend a grand and a half for something made in indonesia with an Edge Zero II when they are selling RG550s made in Japan with original Edges for nearly half as much.

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
If they brought out a Prestige swirl Jem I would definitely buy it, I am interested in the sustainer though. Lets be honest though there hasn't been anything exciting aside from anniversary editions for a long time, most of the new models have been premiums, I don't want to spend a grand and a half for something made in indonesia with an Edge Zero II when they are selling RG550s made in Japan with original Edges for nearly half as much.
I'm now at the stage that I don't care where the guitar is made, but like you, I don't want to pay £1500 for a guitar without the bridge it should have, and seemingly no way to simply "trade up" to a real Edge bridge.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I doubt a sustainer JEM is what's coming, not enough of a "big secret" to be the "big secret", and add on the whole Fernandes/Ibanez thing. Could be though, what do i know? I just hope whatever's coming is made at Fugijen.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm now at the stage that I don't care where the guitar is made, but like you, I don't want to pay £1500 for a guitar without the bridge it should have, and seemingly no way to simply "trade up" to a real Edge bridge.
I think it's because I've had to buy guitars sight unseen and I don't like to take the risk. My last two guitars were a Custom Suhr Classic T and the 30th Anniversary Jem, both of them are exceptional instruments but I didn't get to try them beforehand, you have more confidence in the higher end factories. Another part of me just likes the prestige of it (for lack of a better word), and I like the idea that my money goes towards keeping the high end factories going, I mean if everyone thought "might as well buy premium because it's really good and cheaper" there would no longer exist a Japanese manufactured Ibanez. I'm not overly fond of the idea that everything gets manufactured in China or Indonesia because nobody else can compete, at least with guitars where possible I'd rather buy something made in Japan (or the US/Europe).

I was fond of the Premium blue flower pattern Jem I played last year, but I hated the trem and the tuning stability wasn't great with it. I mean it played beautifully, was set up well and I liked the pickups but the trem put me off and I hated that big ass ugly "premium" logo above the Ibanez logo, did they really need to put it front and centre? I played an Ibanez AZ Premium at some point maybe this year or last I can't remember, either way it wasn't really for me, the neck was too chunky and it could have used a setup to get it dialled in (action was a bit high, pretty unspectacular to play).

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
I think it's because I've had to buy guitars sight unseen and I don't like to take the risk. My last two guitars were a Custom Suhr Classic T and the 30th Anniversary Jem, both of them are exceptional instruments but I didn't get to try them beforehand, you have more confidence in the higher end factories. Another part of me just likes the prestige of it (for lack of a better word), and I like the idea that my money goes towards keeping the high end factories going, I mean if everyone thought "might as well buy premium because it's really good and cheaper" there would no longer exist a Japanese manufactured Ibanez. I'm not overly fond of the idea that everything gets manufactured in China or Indonesia because nobody else can compete, at least with guitars where possible I'd rather buy something made in Japan (or the US/Europe).

I was fond of the Premium blue flower pattern Jem I played last year, but I hated the trem and the tuning stability wasn't great with it. I mean it played beautifully, was set up well and I liked the pickups but the trem put me off and I hated that big ass ugly "premium" logo above the Ibanez logo, did they really need to put it front and centre? I played an Ibanez AZ Premium at some point maybe this year or last I can't remember, either way it wasn't really for me, the neck was too chunky and it could have used a setup to get it dialled in (action was a bit high, pretty unspectacular to play).
Gotcha :)

It's not the "location" it's the reassurance of the "quality associated with the location". I'm 100% with you on that. I probably wouldn't buy a Premium sight unseen unless it came from a dealer that would pick it out of the crowd for me, but I'd have no worries buying a Fujigen Ibanez just because of the factory where it was built.

I was the same when I tried the Premium BFP, the trem was frankly what kept me away (and the massive Premium logo didn't help either).

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
I don't know what they could actually put out that would make me buy it, honestly. The 7V does what I need it to do, and a swirl would be waaay too expensive for me to consider.

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
There's a technique called, I think, hydro printing or something similar, where a printed transfer sheet is floated on water then the object dipped in the sheet. I believe (based on hearsay) that's how the Jemini pedals are done. I bet they could make a Premium swirl that way. It'd not be individual like the "real" ones but I bet they could get it done cost effectively with some variation between each guitar...

But no, there's not a guitar out there that I've tried (and I've tried a lot, from vintage Strats to headless Blackmachines) that makes me think there's actually a "better" guitar than my '02 7V...

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm seriously considering my own new Jem next year. I'm just not expecting anything from Ibanez..

I'm thinking second hand Jem 505 is the perfect blank canvas to do your own unique refinish to and you still get MIJ, Edge trem etc...

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
I'm seriously considering my own new Jem next year. I'm just not expecting anything from Ibanez..

I'm thinking second hand Jem 505 is the perfect blank canvas to do your own unique refinish to and you still get MIJ, Edge trem etc...
I've got a white one on Reverb at the moment :)

·
Registered
407 Posts

I've got a white one on Reverb at the moment
Would be tempting, but I'm currently in the UK so probably not worth the hassle of importing. I need to sell my PGM100 first to finance it too...

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Hmm, JEM7V-WH being discontinued? Or will there just be a new variant of it, there after all has been many variants.

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pcw.n...MTX=2016/05&curToYMTX=2019/10&strMode=newpage
My guess is there will be another variant. They do not need to make it forever, but due to the recognizable nature and exceptional longevity of the JEM7V-WH, it would be odd to drop it after 27 years, especially with no replacement JEM currently being made. If they decided to discontinue MIJ JEM's entirely, it would be very similar to what they did to the Universe, which is not particularly encouraging. :plain:

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
I'd be interested to see how many of the JEM7VWH Ibanez is selling at the moment. Especially compared a) to the newer and cheaper Premium JEMs and b) compared to their own other signature models.

Don't get me wrong, my white JEM is probably my favourite guitar, but Steve Vai doesn't have the profile he once did as "THE guitarists's guitarist" (Stevie T has 4 times as many YouTube subscribers as Steve Vai) and with the white JEM having been on sale for nearly 30 years, Ibanez AND Steve may have decided its time for a new direction to see if they can re-invigorate sales?

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
I'd be interested to see how many of the JEM7VWH Ibanez is selling at the moment. Especially compared a) to the newer and cheaper Premium JEMs and b) compared to their own other signature models.

Don't get me wrong, my white JEM is probably my favourite guitar, but Steve Vai doesn't have the profile he once did as "THE guitarists's guitarist" (Stevie T has 4 times as many YouTube subscribers as Steve Vai) and with the white JEM having been on sale for nearly 30 years, Ibanez AND Steve may have decided its time for a new direction to see if they can re-invigorate sales?
You might be right about all of that.
Stevia T is a name that has not reached my ears. I may not be paying attention though. Quantity of YouTube subscribers rarely defines the quality of someone else's guitar. All I'm saying is the JEM7V-WH has been a significant guitar. If the JEM is to be taken down a different path, some overlap would make the transition smoother.

This is all speculation too...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vai has hinted in the interviews relatively recently that JEMs in general sell very well. But I'd guess that is mostly Premiums.
https://bit.ly/34iQihT

·
Registered
470 Posts

I don't think that's a fair assessment though, Stevie T's whole thing is his comedy based youtube channel while Steve Vai is a recording/live artist that has a youtube channel for the occasional promotional material. Stevie T is pretty much unknown outside of that part of youtube and has a mostly younger audience, while Steve Vai is still a household name. Youtube stars have been known to hit massive heights and then drop off completely, their longevity isn't the same because their content is mostly stuff consumed in the moment and then forgotten.

I hope this big news announcement isn't going to end up in the end of Prestige Jems, sugar coated to look like some celebration worthy event.. I've seen that angle played enough times now to be cynical.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts