Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Jem Not really impressed.....

4K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Jemwielder 
#1 ·
Sorry guys love the look of Jems but just played one.... Not really blown away..... I am not up with model numbers it was a new white w/gold hardware. Set up was great, low action like all ibanezes, in tune (suprised for guitar center) Played GREAT, sounded GREAT as you would expect but I feel that my old 92 RG770 plays the same if not better (finished neck is super fast and smooth) and my 91 and 98 570's play pretty darn close and at $#00.00 for the 770 and $225.00 each for the 570s I would rather buy multiple guitars unless its a Swirl!!!! So I am putting on the flame suit!

#2 ·
To each his own dude. Whenever I get a different/new guitar it takes me a bit getting used to it. You are very used to the way your old ones play so getting something with diff neck, p/u, etc will seem diff. Give it time to grow on you. If you don't love it the so be it. They arn't for everyone.

#6 ·
Jems are not for everyone and that's a known fact. While I'm not trying to sell you on a Jem, I will tell you this....

Buy one and take it home. Play with it for a week or two and see if you like it. If after a week or two you still don't like it, take it back to GC, get your money back and purchase something you really like.

Jimmy:smile:

#7 ·
I always loved Jems. When I was 14 or 15 I forgot. When I got to play one oh man it was instant love. I played charvels but after that experience I wanted a Jem so bad. I technically still don't have one. My swirl is a herc jem swirl has all original good ibanez parts and plays and sounds like a dream but I still would love to have the real thing.

Jems are not for everyone.

I wish they would get back to using colors again this white and black jems seem REEEEEEEEEEALLLY BORING!!!! More color options would be nice.

#11 ·
I think he expected it to play significantly better than guitars that cost 1/4th as much...not unreasonable if ya ask me ;). I've tried most of the JEMs that arent the super duper rare ones, and I've honestly never been too impressed. Well built, good looking guitars, but for MY money there's much better out there for me.

#9 ·
my mate says the same thing.he has 3 ibanez guitars,then bought a 7vwh he didnt like it says it was lacking something,and after playing the 7vwh for a few hours the neck was causing cramp in his wrist.i also find that aswell (cramp).my 777vbk neck is totaly amazing,plays itself but i must admit i prefer the 7vwh for tone sooooo slick.

#10 ·
Eh, when I first decided to pick up and try out a Jem at Guitar Center a number of years ago, I was completely blown away by it instantly. I found and purchased a used one within the next week and certainly have not regretted it at all. That having been said, I added an RG550 to my collection not longer after and feel that its neck plays just about as well as the Jems.

Certainly, there are some intangibles with a Jem that have little to do with the playability, and those are all entirely up to the individual. I personally think the typical retail price of a new Jem is excessive for what you're getting compared to, say, a high-end RG, but that's not that surprising for a signature model. If you really like the style and/or are a big Vai fan, it's worth it, but otherwise there are for sure cheaper alternatives that are just as nice.

#13 · (Edited)
When i started to love jems was cause Steve Vai.. i loved the tunes .. use to play them in shows and the guitar help me a lot to reach the closest possible a VAi "tone".. but the time passed and i started to look for my own sound and it means my own guitar specs.. i still love my jems ang RG but my custom made guitars are so much better to me.. they fit my specific demand for neck thickness and width, thee pick ups are the ones that i chosen serching in all brands in the market... my advice is .. try to play more in a JEM.. a few moments is a store aren't enough..

#15 ·
No, no, no, no, no!!! My heart is hurting!! JEMS rule!!, This can't be true, people don't really think like this!! It's all just an elaborate scam!!! Someone close this thread!! Please, conversations like this are just wrong against God and Steve Vai (actually Steve should come first...) ;)

#16 ·
I have a new JS1200, but I also enjoy my '91 570. They both have a great feel and good stuff in 'em already. But the Joe still took getting used to.

If you worked the JEM for a day or 2, it'd probably start to sink in a bit more. Or, maybe that particular Ibanez type isn't for you.

#18 ·
Heck any guitar that is different from yours takes time.

For example I played a J-Custom 8570 yesterday and it sounded great but the thing was a bit difficult for me to play on. Why?

Because the neck is satin finished and the super wizard, while probably being identical, didn't feel the same as my 91 560s original wizard. After about 45 minutes or so I started to get more comfortable and I could see that after a day or two there'd be no issue.

Does this mean that the J-Custom was unimpressive-by no means, it was sonically and asthetically amazing as well as having an awesome feel. It was just different than my guitar.

#20 ·
Where the JEM lords it over the 770/570 crowd is the neck. becuase its thicker and non wizard it gives you more depth at the lower frets which makes barre chords etc much easier and also gives the guitar a deeper tone than the Wizard neck models.

I have a 777VDY and a 777DBK both have different necsk but the multi-radius on the dbk just nicks it in terms of playability because that extra neck depth makes the guitar more versatile in the styles I can play :)

#21 ·
Hi Guys,
What I can say is : versatility is the biggest advantage of Jem 7vwh .
I enjoy making Hendrix,Page ,Garry Moore sound in one second,and than Vai ,Satriani or SRV sound in another second....(or in narrow sence -making Fender,Gibson and Ibanez sounds in one guitar)

Not too many guitars like that , but maybe i am wrong,what do you think?

All the rest is up to your personal taste ,which is generated from long term using of certain brands and models,what made you as a Fender,Gibson ,Jem,or whatever fans....

Just my 2 c
Cheers,
BH

#24 ·
Hi Guys,
What I can say is : versatility is the biggest advantage of Jem 7vwh .
I enjoy making Hendrix,Page ,Garry Moore sound in one second,and than Vai ,Satriani or SRV sound in another second....(or in narrow sence -making Fender,Gibson and Ibanez sounds in one guitar)

Not too many guitars like that , but maybe i am wrong,what do you think?
i think i disagree. while the pickup configuration is very versatile, a stock vwh is not going to sound like a strat or a les paul. which is probably why vai himself went on the hunt for a strat when he was recording 'the boy from seattle'.

#22 ·
Jems are very pleasing to the eye....certainly a pretty guitar but I don't buy into the versatility claims and there are certainly other guitars of equal or lesser cost that give more bang for the buck.

Those being...

1) Jackson PC1. Better build quality out of the factory. Figured tops and neck. Better tone and has sustainer.
2) Parker Nitefly. Most tonal and sound possibilities of any guitar + piezo
3) Carvin. Great build quality. Figured tops....options options options
4) Music Man JP models w/piezo
5) Fender YJM signature.

#23 ·
Have a Jem and I'm going to sell it pretty soon, just doesn't suit me anymore.
After picking up a Peavey Vandenberg I was in instant love - short scale and better neck IMO.
Plus I love the fact mine was tested by Adje being number 234. ;)

Don't get me wrong, Jems are beautiful machines - but it's like a Porsche 911, you get on stage to find every other lead guitarist has one, and not because of sound just because of fame. They're far too brash for my liking, need a lower output. Each to their own.

#27 ·
i remember when i first seen a jem,a guy was playing a 777dy in my local club.he started his sound check it was like HOLY SH!T look and listen to that.after the show i asked the guy how much was that guitar,he said £1700 this was 1989 back then £1700 was a lot of dough.ive never been interested in any other guitars.although i do like jon sykes sig les paul,its jems all the way for me.

#28 ·
I totally understand. The old RG's are absolutely awesome, and the old 80's early 90's jems are amazing as well to play and feel like the old RG's. New ones, well, they have more of the "new" ibanez feel to them if that makes sense.

I still want a DY as the ones I have played have all been absolutely stellar!

#30 ·
Yeah, at first it took me some time to get used to my Jem. The neck was thin and my fingers barely touched the fret board to fret notes. Contrary to most I like my guitar to fight me just a little bit, like a good woman would..... HA! I found that raising the action a bit did the ticket. Still an amazing playing guitar it just feels better to me now. Most folks who pick up my jem say "dude! Why is your action so bloody high?!?" My response is usually something cheeky like "It's set up for a real man to play." Honestly though it's just how I like my guitars (especially ones strung up with 9s) to play. I normally play guitars with heavier strings, 11s or 10s at least, depends on scale length and all that. Bottom line is that almost any guitar when given the right tweaks can suit your needs perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.