Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently Nagoya decided this was going to be an October release and didn't make sure the reps knew, because I specifically asked if this was for public release and was told "YES".

Well, now it isn't, until October..

·
Administrator
7,495 Posts
I'm really pleased to see Ibanez continue to be a bit more adventurous in the premium range :)

This is very different to any other JEM that has gone before and it seems the premium line might just give Steve and Hoshino the scope to be a bit more creative :) looking forward to trying one.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Nice to see the jem concept evolving but Vine+gears is to much
and IMHO, the burl poplar doesn't match the mahogany grain
It looks like a Frankenstein thing

Not a big deal as the pg and PU covers are removable, but it's not my taste as is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice to see the jem concept evolving but Vine+gears is to much
and IMHO, the burl poplar doesn't match the mahogany grain
It looks like a Frankenstein thing

Not a big deal as the pg and PU covers are removable, but it's not my taste as is.
Totally agree.
+ The wood looks like taken from some grandparents' furniture.
Is this the result of a market analysis? Or did Steve come up with this?

·
Registered
157 Posts
To be fair, Jems have always been gaudy and kind of fugly in the best way possible.
That is true.

This is just a different taken on that I suppose.
Maybe you are right and it's just that I personally don't like it. Even all Jem designs are over-the-top with neon colors and the like, they still seem to be timeless (at least for a 40 year old guy like me who still likes the look of his bfp :().

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
But really i'd love to know who designed this... someone who appreciated the RG-GEAR! Starts out great with Mahogany then falls completely apart in aesthetics. I wish they would change it to a black headstock. The hideous nature of the gears and headstock and pickguard sparks an idea though...

Ibanez should sell aftermarket JEM guards and PU covers to improve this one... modularize parts for these cheap JEMs allowing Vai to sign-off on"accessories" (guards, covers, headstock covers) to purchase for the Premium models. Sell them direct or special-ordered thru dealers. Would help sales (purchase an ugly axe that you can make look good at home) and allow revenue post sale and more customer engagement.

Imagine being able to make this look good without scrounging the net for vendors hoping the pickguard fits, etc.... glen

1 - 20 of 239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.