Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have, for the past 2 years, been buying electric guitars at the rate of one a month. I am a former Respiratory Care Practitioner RRT. I have been retired for the past 12 years. When I was making the big bucks, I had nothing but top shelf guitars ( Suhr, Anderson, Collings, etc.). I was making thousands of dollars each month, and was thus able to afford high end stuff. My wife got sick and had surgeries around the time that I quit working. She wasn’t able to go back to work, and my high end guitars all got sold, one by one, to pay for her healthcare after her insurance ran out. And here we are 12 years later.

While I could not afford 5k guitars anymore, after a couple of years off of playing, I decided to get back into it. I have since discovered that it is possible to have a nice playing guitar with out spending one’s children’s inheritance.

I have 20 guitars at present. They range in price from $179.00 to 6.5K. I’ve been really impressed by the quality of guitars coming out of Indonesia. I have a Kramer SM-1, Nightswan, Pacer Vintage and a Beretta. I also have an Indonesian made Jackson Pro soloist. Out of the five, I had to do some work to the fret on 2 of them. It’s a good thing that I know how to fix and repair them. Which brings us to Ibanez.

I got my first guitar in 1983. It was a Roadstar II RS100. The body was plywood with a fake wood finish on it. I went through many guitars since then. Didn‘t really have Ibanez on my radar until I started buying super strats a couple of years ago. A month ago, looking at ads on Reverb, I discovered a Jem Jr. SP in yellow. It was such a nostalgic experience, looking like they did back in the late 80’s. I had always wondered if I could get along with something as flat as a 400mm radius. But the guitar looked great, and I figured that I would give it a try as kind of a trial run at 499.00, just to make sure I could get along with something such a flat radius. It came with a nice, padded, gig bag. As it turns out I loved it after properly setting it up, and doing a level, crown and polish. I have been playing this guitar primarily since I got it.

Next week I will take delivery of a Jem7VP. When I ordered it, the guy that took my order and told me it was made in Japan. I thought great, $1799.00 for for a Japanese Jem was a bargain. We as we all know, that turned out to be a lie. It is made in Indonesia. I didn’t find out until after I ordered it. I don’t think the guy was purposely trying to scam me. I think it is a case of someone put the wrong info into their computer. These guys just don’t have the motivation to be up on their product knowledge. And I can’t blame them at the wages they are paid, for the lack of knowledge.

So, I will find out next week if it is worth the money or not. Here is a pic of my Junior.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to Jemsite, 3bolt! I know you well from ST, and I think you and I have moved in similar directions regarding our tastes in guitars. I technically joined this forum nearly a year ago, but didn't read or post much until the past month or so. Much less active forum than ST, but really knowledgable people here.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ruscio. Yeah this is a forum for a totally niche guitar. I don’t expect to see a lot of recent posts, but I am so new to Ibanez, even though my first guitar was a Roadstar II, back in 1983 or thereabout. I didn’t get into Ibanez back in the 80’s. As soon as I got my smith strat in 1984, I quit playing my RS100, and it just sat in the case until I sold it to a friend in early 1987. Niche guitars that I have besides Ibanez, are Kramers, and an RS custom guitars red Special.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Ruscio. Yeah this is a forum for a totally niche guitar. I don’t expect to see a lot of recent posts, but I am so new to Ibanez, even though my first guitar was a Roadstar II, back in 1983 or thereabout. I didn’t get into Ibanez back in the 80’s. As soon as I got my smith strat in 1984, I quit playing my RS100, and it just sat in the case until I sold it to a friend in early 1987. Niche guitars that I have besides Ibanez, are Kramers, and an RS custom guitars red Special.
I've only gotten into Ibanez in the past 3 years, but they're currently my favorites. Can't beat the necks, and they're using SS frets more often, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.