Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here. I can buy a Pia for around $2650 including tax and shipping (sounds like a great deal). The cheapest used Jem 7V on reverb is almost $2400 including tax and shipping. I don't gig, play at home. Which one would you recommend I buy and why? Thanks.

P.S. looks wise I almost prefer the Jem 7V slightly but it is close.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That feels like an overpay on the 7VWH to be honest. Unless it's a mint condition one I'd go Pia.
Looks wise the Pia isn't for me either but it's slowly growing on me. Everyone here who's played one seems to have agreed that they play beautifully though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That feels like an overpay on the 7VWH to be honest. Unless it's a mint condition one I'd go Pia.
Looks wise the Pia isn't for me either but it's slowly growing on me. Everyone here who's played one seems to have agreed that they play beautifully though.
Most of the 7V available on reverb are not in mint condition and the ones that are are listed at >2750 and evern >3000 all in price which sounds crazy to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is crazy. If the price is basically same get the new one.
Thanks, I will buy the Pia.

But I really like the 7V look and want a white one with that look.... so here is another question: I have found a NEW Premium Jem 7VP (Indonesia) for $1300 all in price.....is that worth getting instead of a used Japanese 7V for over $2300 ($1,000 more)? I have a 77P and a 70V and their quality and tone seem fine to me but I keep hearing the Indonesian made Jems are no match to the Japanese ones for quality (and I can't confirm yet since I don't have a Japanese Jem as yet). Thoughts?

·
Registered
669 Posts
get the pia...you won't find another for that price any time soon...if you hate the pia (you probably won't), then sell it and buy a 7vwh...but, by all means, try the pia first as that price is too good to pass up...d.m.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
get the pia...you won't find another for that price any time soon...if you hate the pia (you probably won't), then sell it and buy a 7vwh...but, by all means, try the pia first as that price is too good to pass up...d.m.
Thanks diablo. Makes sense. Done! bought it.

Now, I'll wait to hear if a used Japanese Jem 7V is a 1000 bucks better than a new Premium 7VP or at least if the quality of the 7VP is significantly less than the 7V. Help from anyone who has both or trued both is much appreciated! I really like the ebony fretboard so am leaning towards the 7VP but am worried with some negative comments about it relative to the 7V.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I own a Jem7VWH from 1994. No question, well adjusted a top player. This was my reliable main player for over 20 years. When the PIA came on the market, which represents a further development in the sense of Steve Vai, I was curious and ordered one. Since then, the VWH stands in the corner. The playability, as on the VWH is excellent. However, the Utopia pickups are much more balanced than the Evolutions. The sound is simply better. I also find the feel with the stainless steel frets on the PIA better. Therefore, I would reach for the PIA without question.

Cheers !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I own a Jem7VWH from 1994. No question, well adjusted a top player. This was my reliable main player for over 20 years. When the PIA came on the market, which represents a further development in the sense of Steve Vai, I was curious and ordered one. Since then, the VWH stands in the corner. The playability, as on the VWH is excellent. However, the Utopia pickups are much more balanced than the Evolutions. The sound is simply better. I also find the feel with the stainless steel frets on the PIA better. Therefore, I would reach for the PIA without question.

Cheers !
Thanks much! I was going to ask if you have a comparison point between the 7V and the 7VP but based on what you said I probably shouldn't even bother getting either of those since I'm bought the white PIA ? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
My vote is for the Pia. With that said, as I’ve said before in other threads, the white premium Jem7vp next to my Japanese Jem7Vwh are almost indistinguishable. The quality on this specific Indo model is outstanding and it plays as well as my PIA’s and Jems. But like others have said, the made in Japan PIA is a work of art and the utopia pickups are amazing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My vote is for the Pia. With that said, as I’ve said before in other threads, the white premium Jem7vp next to my Japanese Jem7Vwh are almost indistinguishable. The quality on this specific Indo model is outstanding and it plays as well as my PIA’s and Jems. But like others have said, the made in Japan PIA is a work of art and the utopia pickups are amazing.
Thank you FringBird!!! Wow, you find the 7VP as good as the 7V? I wonder why so many suggest it is of much lesser quality, just not Made in Japan syndrome I guess. I ordered the PIA but now am thinking I should also get the 7VP. $1250 seems like a great price. I was looking for a pre 2003 Jem 7V because I want the ebony fretboard. and the 7VP has that! Or is it unecessary since the I ordered the PIA which is better. What do you think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you FringBird!!! Wow, you find the 7VP as good as the 7V? I wonder why so many suggest it is of much lesser quality, just not Made in Japan syndrome I guess. I ordered the PIA but now am thinking I should also get the 7VP. $1250 seems like a great price. I was looking for a pre 2003 Jem 7V because I want the ebony fretboard. and the 7VP has that! Or is it unecessary since the I ordered the PIA which is better. What do you think?
I believe there is hate for the premium JEM line because a number of the other premium line Jems they make have inferior and cheaper quality pickups, tuners, bridges, electronics, etc. This is not the case with the 7VP white. In fact the only real differences are these:

the ebony fretboard is non scalloped, it features a Wizard premium neck (amazing feel) with titanium rods instead of a true JEM neck, premium fret end finishing versus prestige ends, different volume and tone pots and a different 5 way switch that feels a little more stiff than the Japanese versions but still function perfectly, and the premium version lacks basswood veneers that prevent the alder grain from popping through the finish (not that noticeable). Other than that, they are identical. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with it. I would just ensure you get to play it and inspect it before you pay for it though. See if Ibanez Rich has any in stock, he won’t sell you anything that’s not top tier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.