Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I'm getting new pickups for my 1570 and my 370. I'm thinking of going like this
Evo-YJM-Evo
or
Evo-YJM-Evo

I know the Evos are awesome, but does anyone here have any experience with YJMs? I would really like your oppions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Keep in mind basswood is a very different tonewood from alder...

Many here would suggest you put Breeds in your 1570 and 350.

However I can't speak for the pups, I've never tried one. Just spreading what JJemmer would say :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the sound the Evo puts out. I listen to lots and lots of Vai, and lots of Dragonforce. But I also love the tone Yngwie gets. Like at the end of this video

·
Registered
804 Posts
Evo with a 250K tone control is great in My Basswood RG... although I like the EVo2 alil more ( I'm over the in your faceness of Evo for the time being)
and a YJM will be lost between the Evo`s, YJM is a very low output pickup I have one wired single coil between Breeds and it kinna sucks

·
Registered
100 Posts
How would EVOs and Breeds do in a mahogny (maple top) guitar? I'm thinking of going:

EVO bridge - some SC - Breed neck

How do you think that would work? And what SC would you recomend?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Breeds in Mahogany will sound like the thickest LesPaul Ever.....
Evo will be good or atleast it worked in my old USRG30, when I found the Tone Zone to be tooo bright.....

I'm thinking of useing a Virtual Vintage Solo or something in that vien

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmm - so what you are saying is that I'll be better of with a Evo - s - Evo combination? I was thinking to have a really heavy comp sound and then a "round and smooth" tone in the neck for solos, but I don't want to mud it up.

I know Magnus Olsson is using Breeds (both neck and bridge) in his signature guitars that are Mahogany. Go to http://magnusolsson.com/index2.htm and click the "Gear" link to take a look. His signature guitars, specially the blue one, looks pretty much like the 2770 I'm getting :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evo with a 250K tone control is great in My Basswood RG... although I like the EVo2 alil more ( I'm over the in your faceness of Evo for the time being)
and a YJM will be lost between the Evo`s, YJM is a very low output pickup I have one wired single coil between Breeds and it kinna sucks
So your saying it doesnt produce enough 'power" for it to stand out from the Evos? Even when the Pickup Selector is in the middle?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Distorted it will be ok but anything clean the middle will just fall on it's face....beside a YJM in the middle will never get you Yngwie tone Yngwie only uses the neck and rarely the bridge

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Distorted it will be ok but anything clean the middle will just fall on it's face....beside a YJM in the middle will never get you Yngwie tone Yngwie only uses the neck and rarely the bridge
Okay. Thanks. I just though of this, I'll just use my Squier Strat.

I'm disappointed, at the end of the video I posted, it's sped up. I though he was really that fast. And that tone is excellent, but it sounds like that because its sped up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts