Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I decided to get rid of my stock ibanez INF1 and INF2 pickups and also the INFS1 single coil in the middle (it's an HSH guitar). I have a patented ibanez floyd rose on it and I use regular slinkys 10-46 on it (6 strings). The tunings I use more often are standard E-e and drop D tuning.
I am quite confused about choosing the right pickups for this guitar, I heard some clips of various ibanez with duncan distortion in bridge position and they impressed me, but I am not 100% sure they will match my guitar... Talking about the neck pickup I really don't know where to start... I really like john petrucci's sound so I thought Air Norton or something like that. Do you think that they could be a good pair of humbuckers on my guitar? I also have to decide whether if buying a new middle single coil pickup (which one?) or maybe leave the old one unconnected and use a H-H scheme with the two new humbuckers and coil splitting with the 5-way switcher.
I play all genres from alternative rock (think foo fighters, radiohead, muse...) to metal (dream theater, alter bridge, avenged sevenfold...).
What I'm looking for is versatility and good dynamics for clean and distorted tones (Seymour duncan, Dimarzio, maybe Tesla are also a good choice?)
I don't need super-high output pickups because I don't plug the guitar directly into an amp but I almost always use my pod hd 500 so I can boost the signal in many different ways for hi-gain tones. (so no need of active pickups)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Very well thought out Paolo.

Since you rely heavily on your HD500 for your tones/gains, I would try to find pickups that have an even tonal response, if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
Do you think that a Duncan Distortion/Air Norton combo will be good for my guitar? Woods are basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard.
I heard a lot of clips of these pickups mounted on various guitars and I like their sound very much... will they match?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
If you want medium output and even balanced really you best bet is PAF Pros in the bridge and neck.
Yeah, i really agree with this. PAF's are such versatile pups. I personally love an AN in the neck, but a PAF pro is just as amazing with a nice little mid range kick.

The Duncan Distortion is a great pup, but it's pretty hot. It might be difficult to tone down for lighter duties. It's similar to a Tone Zone in output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the advice! I'm planning to mantain the HSH setup of my RG470, so even if I mount a hot pickup like duncan distortion, I will probably use the middle-neck and middle-bridge positions and the single coil for lighter genres and clean sounds.
Would you recommend me any middle pickup (single coil) to match the air norton and duncan distortion/(maybe dimarzio super distortion or paf pro) pickups? Which impedance is better? I am thinking of 7kΩ... what do you think of wilkinson/tesla pickups? dimarzio/duncan single coils are still quite expensive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts