Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got an rgt42dxfm from 07, it's got mahogany wings and maple/walnut neck and a maple top. I am looking to change both humbuckers. I like petrucci tone with his ibanez from the nineties. I was thinking about steve's special in bridge and air norton in the neck. I like Michael Romeo from Symphony X, Emppu Vuorinen from Nightwish and similar tones. I want a powerful sound, but balanced, a smooth neck that cuts through the mix without being muddy, but without sounding too warm. I'm open to other models or even different brands, I know that Emppu uses duncans and I also know that since Petrucci used a different wood so I wont be able to get the same tone, but come on, its not about replicating it but getting my own. Sorry for the long post and bad English, Im from Mexico so I would appreciate if you stick with Dimarzio or Duncan since I don't know where ould I get Bare Knuckles, Rio Grande and other Brands and paying $20 for transport may not be worth it. Thanks for your replies.
By the way, if this can help you, I use boss gt8, and get some decent tones from it, i use cabinet and preamp simulation and use the line/phones out.
Greetiengs from Mexico

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you man, but I do not know if I should get them, I think that jems are made of alder and baswood, so I would obtain a different tonality. Anyone with a clip to show the sound?Maybe some one could link clean, mid crunch and high gain with the pickups. I appreciate all your help. I can't go wrong with this purchase since we do not have return policy in Mexico :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
mine's the textured jem. the 7DBK, anyways, yes, that is made out of basswood. but those pickups have amazing sustain and mind-blowing harmonics. i think with a neck-thru like yours, these puppies would sing. oh, they have great push too, and with high gain, they don't get muddy whatsoever with higher gain. i would trust these in any guitar to tell you the truth. this is your decision though.
i hope i have helped
cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
i just really couldn't imagine anyone going wrong with them. they have a smooth mid response and you can get heavy deathcore metal tone out of them. they are also sparkley clear/clean and you can get some great pick attack country chickenpicken licks with the volume down a bit. though mine also has a single coil, so i don't know how well that would work. also, my jem is a bolt on so it doesn't have very much resonance, and i doubt that if you did that style of music, that it would be. hmmm, how do i phrase it. "Punchy"?
anyways though, all around, these are great, and i will attach a link to some demos if i can find decent ones.

·
Registered
148 Posts
h t t p : / / w w w . dimarzio .c o m /site/#/pickups/
go there, and then go to humbuckers
then go to "high power"
and Breed bridge
then down below the "details" section, go to "sound"
there's some nice demos there
sorry about the instructions with sorta-link
the way they have the page set up
there's no way to link directly with that pickup
if you just go to dimarzio.com
at the bottom i think on the right, there is a "pickup picker" box
click on that and it will let you choose what tone you want, the wood on your guitar, the output, the size. and i'm not sure what else
anyways, that's also a good way to find exactly what you're looking for
hope to have helped

·
Registered
148 Posts
oh, and the reason the link is spaced is because it won't let me paste it like it is
so just put it in the address bar and remove the spaces

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh thanks, I tried it a moment ago, but found it maybe a little bit trebly, any other suggestions? I'm open even to duncans.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
For a neck-thru mahogany guitar I like the Evo2 / Paf Pro or D-Activator bridge and neck combos from DiMarzio, or from Seymour Duncan, the Jb / 59 or Jb / Jazz combo.

Rock on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thnk you for your help. What about my first options, steves special and air norton, would they sound good in my guitar?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ok, thnk you for your help. What about my first options, steves special and air norton, would they sound good in my guitar?
the steves special should be great in that guitar, but I think the air norton could be a little muddy there.

I think pairing the steves special with a PAF PRO

·
Registered
311 Posts
In my rg3120 (mahogony body) i've got a tone zone at the bridge and a paf pro. Comapred to my jpm it's not too different. I'm led to believe JP used a tone zone for images and words. I find the air norton quite thick sounding, its also worth noting that JP in the early days used a humbucker from hell in the neck of his bc rich. In my honest opinion you should go down the route that ibanez do with the majority of their prestige models which is TZ at the Bridge and paf pro at the neck. With the right eq and a bit of know how it will smack of jp! Alternatively try a steves special and a paf pro or humbucker from hell. If you want a really lavish route try bare knuckle's miracle man calibrated set..... but be warned they are mighty expensive (tim at bareknuckle will definatley ship to mexico)..... but very worthwhile! One thing i can advise you of is to avoid drop sonics (d-sonic) the only thing i've heard them in that was any good was a jp-6.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you, now I have some new options to hear and think about, is the PAF pro capable of splitting or using it in parallel mode? What's the difference between TZ and SS? I've heard they are opposites. I'll check bareknucles, why are they called calibrated set, and are they worth it, what are there main characteristics?
Greetings

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just heard the Miracle Man demo on Bareknuckle's site. I loved it. Tight, but not really harsh nor aggressive, but smooth yet you can hear their presence and power.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow, 170 pounds for the set, thats just more expensive than the OFR or goth I was going to buy, as i may have some money by july I was buying a tube amp or upgrading my guitar. That set is beautiful but is more than Would like to spend. :( (runs to cry)

·
Registered
528 Posts
wow, 170 pounds for the set, thats just more expensive than the OFR or goth I was going to buy, as i may have some money by july I was buying a tube amp or upgrading my guitar. That set is beautiful but is more than Would like to spend. :( (runs to cry)
I have a miracle man bridge in my rg570 matched with a air zone in the neck and a redvelvet in the bridge....

I wrote bareknucle about the closest to miracle man I can get from dimarzio and they said Evolution but to my ears evo2 is closer.

Also from the specs Seymour Duncan's Alternative 8 should be close.

and the miracle man neck is said to be punchy and dark, so I think there could be a breed neck or as I did an air zone....

Y cualquier otra cosa hermano en la que te pueda ayudar estoy a la orden.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pues gracias, siempre hay algo nuevo que probar no?
Thank you there's always something new to try right?
I will look for samples of SD Alternative 8, evo2 and air zone.
What is the difference between air zone and tone zone?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Pues gracias, siempre hay algo nuevo que probar no?
Thank you there's always something new to try right?
I will look for samples of SD Alternative 8, evo2 and air zone.
What is the difference between air zone and tone zone?
form the dimarzioforum faq
Airbuckers are humbuckers that have a gap of air between the pickup's magnet and polepieces. This weakens the magnetic field of the pickup, allowing greater string sustain and a slightly more vintage voicing.
To me they are more "open", "clear", less hot and more articulated. but the basic tone is very close

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered 3 days ago pups for my rg2550. Thought about different pickups about a month and still i think tone zone/air norton set is the most versatile set for my music along with the breeds. So i ordered tone zone/air norton set ofcourse. And yeah forgot to mention i had exactly same search terms than you when choosing my pups.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts