Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided to kit out my RG with new pickups I was looking for advice on which to choose. I play hard rock, metal and punky stuff along with more mellow clean tone songs. Due to this I am particularly looking for versatility in sound.

I thought the JB (bridge) and Jazz (neck) Seymour Duncan combo would fit the bill although I haven't really heard them in action. I also need to choose a single coil but am completely clueless as to which to choose.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which combination of HB/SC/HB pickups to fit my RG with???

Cheers
SEAN

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My personal choice for tone and versatility would be Tone Zone/Blue Velvet/Air Norton, but that's just me. Regardless of whatever humbuckers you choose, the Dimarzio Blue Velvet is like one of the best single coil pickups to add to the mix.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The JB/Jazz combo is quite a versatile pickup combo. Toss in a SD Duckbucker or some hum cancelling single coil and your set.

The Tone Zone/Blue Velvet/Air Norton combo is good as well, but quite frankly I'd suggest trying both.

·
Registered
725 Posts
hi Sean.

i have the JB/ Jazz combo in my RGA & it's one of my fav pairing. despite everyone's warning that the JB is a super trebly pickup, it's nothing shrieky at all. in fact it has a healthy dose of lower midrange, superb for metal-type riffing. the Jazz is currently my fav neck humbucker as it is versatile enough to handle smooth fusion tones + high gain settings.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The JB and Jazz are a great combo. I don't think you will be dissapointed. The air norton and tone zone is another great idea. I prefer the air zone over the tone zone in that combo myself. The breeds are also great and perfectly matched and will give you the chunky warm sound that the JB and Jazz offer. I use the Breed and love it. I think it is a combo worth checking into. For the best advice on breeds just listen to steve's playing. The rhythm on Building The Church and lead on The Blood And Tears are breeds. So liten and enjoy my friend. Joshua

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.