Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a decent amp to replace my Marshall MG15 at home.

The question is what do I get? I don't live near any good shops to try out loads of amps so I'd appreciate you guys helping me narrow down the list.

My budget will be about £200-£300
I'd prefer to buy new, not used
I'm after a nice Satch type tone
It has to sound good at low volumes
My main guitar is a Jem 7DBK with Breeds

Do valve amplifiers (like the Laney LC15R) sound any good at low volumes or am I better going for a modelling amp like Line 6 Spiders or adding a POD to my existing Marshall.

Thanks for your help and advice

Mark

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I use a crappy little Aria amp at home (I got it as part payment for doing a set up I think) and plug a POD Xt into it. Works a treat as a practice set up as I can approximate my stage sound.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Algiman said:
I use a crappy little Aria amp at home (I got it as part payment for doing a set up I think) and plug a POD Xt into it. Works a treat as a practice set up as I can approximate my stage sound.
I do practically the same now. I just run my V-Amp 2 unit into a small 20watt practise amp. It sounds good enough, all without being too loud. I just cant use my head and cab anymore - its just too loud for the neighbours sometimes.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Micro Cube by Roland/Boss- it is small, cheap ($125 US) and includes FX, amp models and even can be used with batteries so it can fit in a suitcase and travel.
if you need something bigger (it doesn't have the battery option), you can get the bigger version: Cube 30.
i plan to pick up another one and a Marshall 15wtt Micro Stack (they just look so cool being only 3 feet tall!).

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, but can you get good sounds out of valve amps at low volumes?

I would like to achieve a good natural tone if possible, without using modelling gizmos.

However, if I can't do that then I'll have go the POD route

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
markg5150 said:
Thanks guys, but can you get good sounds out of valve amps at low volumes?

I would like to achieve a good natural tone if possible, without using modelling gizmos.

However, if I can't do that then I'll have go the POD route
good is a hard word to use when it comes to tones... tube amps create desirable sounds at low volumes, but it may not be what you're wanting. If you want a saturated sustaining tone like Vai has, you're not going to get it out of a tube amp without loud volume. Now you can always buy gear that will quiet it down (a THD Hotplate for instance), but you're not going to get that Vai sound without a lot of volume in a tube amp.

·
Registered
636 Posts
screamndemon69 said:
Micro Cube by Roland/Boss- it is small, cheap ($125 US) and includes FX, amp models and even can be used with batteries so it can fit in a suitcase and travel.
if you need something bigger (it doesn't have the battery option), you can get the bigger version: Cube 30.
i plan to pick up another one and a Marshall 15wtt Micro Stack (they just look so cool being only 3 feet tall!).
micro cube!!!!! this thing is AWESOME, i can't stop raving about this amp. for the price you cant get a better practice amp period. even though it only has one global tone knob, between that the gain conrol, the volume (which opens up more when u crank it... cool!) and riding the volume and tone knobs on my guitar i can get great tones!

i can get anything fom great blues tones to screaming leads (i've had a guy say that the lead tone sounds better than his 5150) seriously for 2 watts through a 5" speaker the recto model sounds BRUTAL!

all in all i wouldnt really say the models are suppose to be really good "models" of the amps they say but more just a guide. obviously the JC clean inst going to give you the true fullness of a JC120 but throw on a little of the chorus and a hair of reverb and it sounds great.

im going to try to record some songs with it later on, cant wait to have people's jaws drop after they hear some huge wall guitar distortion and i point to the cube as the amp it came from.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I support the idea for a Tech 21. That's what I have it is the best sounding practice amp I have heard. I also looked at the Micro Cube, I don't think it sounds as good but it has effects; the Tech 21 does not. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd get the Tech 21 Trademark 30, the Carvin 212 Bel Air, or a Traynor DG65D that has built-in tube emulation and DSP effects. The TM 30, and 212 Bel Air are all tube. Hope this helps! :D

TM 30 list: $450
Bel Air list: $600
DG65D list: $650

·
Registered
494 Posts
bonehead189 said:
I'd get the Tech 21 Trademark 30, the Carvin 212 Bel Air, or a Traynor DG65D that has built-in tube emulation and DSP effects. The TM 30, and 212 Bel Air are all tube. Hope this helps! :D

TM 30 list: $450
Bel Air list: $600
DG65D list: $650
The TM30 is not a tube amp (sounds like one, though!).

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
pawel said:
Trademark 10 for sure, unless you need some more headroom.
I have a Marshall Studio 15. 1 Vintage 30, 15 watts, probably the ultimate practice amp, but they are getting a bit pricey.

On the cheaper side is the Fender Blues Jr and the Peavey Classic 30. Both sound great.

^Hint: look used. You can pick up a Fender Blues Jr. for $300 usd, so thats like 250 euros or so (a little less!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.