Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was poking around the Ibanez Japan site recently and came upon a new RG model in the Prestige Uppercut line: the RG6UCS.

It looks pretty sweet: Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickups, Lo Pro Edge, KTS titanium rod in neck, ebony fretboard (with no inlays), and stainless steel frets. It has an MSRP of ¥330,000, which should translate to a retail price of around US$2,100.

It seems to be a Japanese exclusive at this point, as I can't find any similar model on the US site.

Does anyone have any other information about this model that they can share?

P.S. I'd post a link, but I just joined the forum. You can search for the model number on the Ibanez Wiki for more info.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Beware! Stainless steel frets aren't completely what they're cracked up to be. Had my Jem7vwh redone with 6105 Jescar SS frets. They are nice in many, many ways. Such as not having to worry about fret wear for a really long time, and for most playing aspects, they provide for a glassy smooth feel and are absolutely wonderful. However, if you're one to dwell on a single note and use vibrato a lot, something happens to the string molecularly, where the glassy smoothness disappears, replaced by a grinding, scraping feel. The glassy smoothness does return after a short time though. Beyond that, stainless steel frets are quite a bit harder on the strings generally, so you'll be replacing strings a bit more often.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Beware! Stainless steel frets aren't completely what they're cracked up to be. Had my Jem7vwh redone with 6105 Jescar SS frets. They are nice in many, many ways. Such as not having to worry about fret wear for a really long time, and for most playing aspects, they provide for a glassy smooth feel and are absolutely wonderful. However, if you're one to dwell on a single note and use vibrato a lot, something happens to the string molecularly, where the glassy smoothness disappears, replaced by a grinding, scraping feel. The glassy smoothness does return after a short time though. Beyond that, stainless steel frets are quite a bit harder on the strings generally, so you'll be replacing strings a bit more often.
I think what you are describing is the fret wearing down the string. I am ok with that because it is easier to replace the string than a fret. I love the feel of stainless steel frets.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think what you are describing is the fret wearing down the string. I am ok with that because it is easier to replace the string than a fret. I love the feel of stainless steel frets.
It's something other than string wear from the fret, because it's not permanent for the string in question. The problem fixes itself after about 5-10 minutes of just letting the guitar sit (or at least not using the string in question). It only occurs with the unwound strings.

I love the feel of SS frets too, for most things. It's just that extended, exaggerated vibrato is a big drawback, since it's something I like to use often.

I brought the guitar back to the guy who did the frets (Denny Rauen) when I first noticed it, thinking something was wrong, but after he looked things over and did some more polishing, the problem persists. Just the way it is with SS frets I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts