Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Here's a project I just completed. It's a bonafide mongrel that turned out pretty cool. Components are all Ibanez (except hardware): BL1025 (97 Blazer reissue) body, + mid-80s Roadstar II neck (recontoured to AANJ, and headstock cut down to the modern shape). Pickups match the AT series (two Cruisers and a custom ordered AT1), Wilkinson VSVG trem, and Sperzel locking tuners. The body was originally a three-tone cherry sunburst that was repainted to Surf Green because I've always wanted a guitar that color.

I went through several maple board necks before settling on this one and it is a dream. I'm also liking the pickups a lot -- very versatile combo, which makes sense given what Timmons does.

Cheers,
Bert

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Love what youve done with the headstock... would you happen to have pics of the process?

Congrats! looks great, take some pics outside :)

And put some real strat knobs in it :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the complements.

I was really surprised by how great this old Japanese-made Roadstar II neck is. There weren't a lot of Ibanez strat style maple board necks available in recent years, so you have to go back aways to find nice ones. The headstock was one of those with "The Ultimate Expression of Craftsmanship" in the logo. It really was huge -- presumably an attempt to emulate the big 70s style Fender headstocks. Cutting it down was tricky -- I used a combination of saber saw (leaving lots of wood for sanding) and small router bits, followed by quite a bit of sanding. No pics of that process, but it took a few hours.

Bert

·
Registered
289 Posts
sweet! looks the business. It could be the twin sister to my old surf green Telenez that I posted in another thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts