Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Pups RG7CT (pic inside, and sound clips)

Hey everybody, I recently ordered a set up pickups from Eric (ecalcagnino) for my RG7CT. I got an Evolution 7 and Air Norton 7 in black/creme. Here is the end result...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sepsis311/rg7ct.jpg

The pups sound amazing. I would compare the AN7 to a less bassy Seymour Duncan '59. But don't let me sell it short. It's definately got tone, and a unique sound.

The evolution was a huge suprise. I love this pup in this mahogony guitar. It reminds me of an EMG707 (clarity and output). However, it has a more natural sounding tone. Hope you guy's enjoy.

I suggest if you guy's need Dimarzio pups, talk to Eric before blowing your cash elsewhere. He will hook you up with a nice deal. Thanks Eric!

Oh, in case you guys are interested, i also hooked up another baby of mine...
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sepsis311/milf.jpg
It's a dean. Came with cheap pups. Its a 79mlf. I threw in a SD '59, and Bill Lawrence L500XL. I also replaced the ****ty trem with a Schaller. Enjoy!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nice! I love the look of zebras on a transparent finish. The guitar has a nice mix of a vintage and modern vibe. Very cool.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It looks great!
It would be good if you could record some sound samples and post them here as i'm going to change the pickups in my RG2027 soon and i've heard so many different opinions as to the best pickups for a mahogany bodied 7.

I was also thinking of going for Black/Creme on mine too as i think they look great with a VV finish.
It gives a kinda' Les Paul vibe to the look.Classic!

Very nice guitars man!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I like the rg but good god Im in love with that ml. Hows she play and sound after the upgrades? Should have used a dimebucker maybe? Still great tone I bet

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sniperfrommars1 said:
I like the rg but good god Im in love with that ml. Hows she play and sound after the upgrades? Should have used a dimebucker maybe? Still great tone I bet
I learned when it comes to import deans, it's a hit or miss. This is the second of two i owned. The first one i had, the entire guitar was half the weight of my gibson explorer, so obviously that one was made of crappy mahogony. Also the bridge routing was off, so the schaller wouldnt fit. I had it send back to dean for a replacement. The one i got now, the guitar is the same weight as the gibson explorer, and the schaller fit in.

The mlf is really a toy until the upgrades. But once you get it all done, it's really a true player.

As far as the Bill Lawrence v.s. Dimebucker, i see it this way...
I centered around dimebag, it's not to hard to see that. I figured, he originally used a Bill Lawrence. The only reason he switched, was for an endorsement. Not to mention, I like his tone on vulgar display of power, better than on New Found Power and Reinventing the Steel. The dimebucker also costs 90 bucks, while the BL costs 50. The BL kicks ass! The dimebucker was made for money, nothing else.

EDIT: Just wanna add, its the Bill and Becky L500XL. www.billlawrence.com. NOT the Bill Lawrence USA www.billlawrenceusa.com.
I have the USA pup in another guitar, it can't compete by a long shot. I think the thickness of the rails is the difference (a big one i might add).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sound clip...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sepsis311/an7evo7.mp3

The setup is RG7CT into the Line 6 Guitar port. The guitar port is set up as a basic high gain amp, with a 4 x 12 amp housing Celestion V-30's mic'd with an SM57 on the cone.

First part of the mp3 is the AN7 in the neck, full hum.
Then an artificial harmonic with crazy tremolo, thats starts the EVO7 test.

There isn't any rythm recording, but the EVO7 kicks ass. Trust me.

Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
I have tried both, the Bill Lawrence is way better. Plus its the "original". I am a massive fan of the Bill Lawrence pickups, I just love the high-gain of them, so cool. Not to mention they are about half the price of the Duncan version. But as sepsis said, it kinda depends on what Dimebag tone you prefer.

That Dean ML is my kinda guitar, very sweet. I hear what your saying about the quality too, I have heard that they can be hit or miss. Your one looks like its awesome though!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I listened to the sound sample, but it didn't sound like you ever switched from the neck AN7 to the EVO7. Maybe you could make another little sound sample with just the bridge EVO playing something with some chunk to it so that we can really hear what it can do.

That's some very nice tone, though. Gotta love Line 6 and Dimarzio.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll do it tonight or tomorrow... The guitar port is a little saturated with gain, so i'll try micing my Peavey 5150.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Congratulations on the axe!

Definetly the most desirable 7-string in this world, IMHO.

About the pups, I wouldn't have gone for cream/black colours. Not that it looks bad, but I think this axe (2027 included) is made for black pups as all the hardware and the headstock are black as well. There really isn't any hint of cream to match the pick-ups.

She still looks awesome though...!!!

:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had black, SD '59 and JB. The guitar looked dumb. I think the flametop hinted the need for zebra coils. I'm gunna go for a creme switch knob, or maybe volume/tone knob. What you guys think?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
dude, do you use a really good muting technique or do you gate your sound, cos i can never get my playing to sound that tidy!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the hum reducer on to eliminate noise from the monitor, but no crazy threshold or anything. Aside from that, theres no trick to it. Thanks for the complement :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I got to record thrashy sounds. This mp3 was recorded with a Peavey 5150 with bias mod and JJ tubes, going into a Marshall 1960B cabinate, recorded with an SM57 off axis. This is a real setup, not the guitar port. I did two tracks, one panned left, one panned right.

The recording is split in 2 sections... The first thing you hear is my stock UV777BK. After the riff plays a bunch of times, you'll hear it stop. This is where i change guitars. The recording resumes, with the RG7CT with the evo7.

Unfortunately, it is already 9:00, so i had to record relatively low, and the playing is a little sloppy. If anyone wants, let me know, i'll redo it nicely at a good solid volume, and put up the recording raw, and with drums. Up to you guys. Lemme know. BTW, i recommend turning the speakers up as loud as you can, so you get as much as a real response as possible. Listening with headphones will not reproduce the low end provided by the amp. It should also be noted, that no adjustments were made to the tracks. They are raw samples. Not even EQ.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sepsis311/blaze7evo7.mp3

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Great sound you've got there Sepsis! Nice tight playing too.

Thanks for putting in the effort to record some samples for us to check out.

The two guitars do sound surprisingly similar but then i'm listening to it through crappy little PC speakers so i can't get the full appreciation of the different guitars/pickups.

I'm trying to decide which pickups to fit in my RG2027 and i'm very tempted to go with Dimarzios of some sort but then i'd also like to try a Lundgren Model M or even a BareKnuckles Warpig in the bridge. Hmmmmm?????? Decisions,decisions ?

Just out of interest what type and gauge of strings do you use on your 7's ?

Thanks again :).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use D'darrio's EXL125.
It is a hybrid set by D'darrio consisting of the light strings being from a 9 gague pack, and the heavy strings being from a 10 gague pack. Then I use a .59 for the 7th string, droped to A.

I recommend to hear the difference of the pickups, right click and save the file to your desktop. then i would open it with media player. And click back and fourth between the beginnning and end of the file while it is playing. I didn't hear much difference 'till i did this.

I actually just send a PM to glenn (jemsite, i hope it is) asking him to start a comprehensive gear review section with sound clips of gear. It would consist of standards such as, for guitar reviews, clean tones and distorted tones would need to be recorded. As well as rythm and lead playing. It seems like a lot of work for the members to go through to post a review, but I know if i ever submitted a review, it would be pay off by the other reviews i see/hear from other people before making a decision on what to buy. Other standards would be like, complete details of gear used to record, volume levels, etc... and rules like "do not post clips recorded onto analog tape of your band rehearsal to demo a guitar or pickup." I think it would need much discussion by the community, because it's important the reviews be complete, and guidelines are followed. I'll see what he says.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.