Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Got this RG a long time ago but I've been so busy I've barely had the chance to take pictures and post it. It's in spotless condition with plastic still on the cavity covers. I'm not exactly sure what it is though, so maybe someone here could lend some insight.

A few key features:
Fujigen serial number, 1996 date
Flame top - but looking inside the recess I think this is a Gravure top, not a real maple cap. Kind of hard to tell until I change strings though.
Body is very figured, doesn't look like basswood, and it has binding
Lo-Pro Edge
Dimarzio pickups - look to be factory as well, with the 90s "small logo" on the face. No tampering from what I can see inside the electronics cavity.
AANJ Wizard neck with the bubinga wood stripe - I thought these started a year or two later than this but can't argue with the serial number on the neck. No binding or special inlays, looks/feels identical to my run of the mill 2000 RG570 neck.

Looking through the portal here: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:RG_series#1996
I don't see anything in 1996 that would fit this description. The closest thing I can see in that era is the 1999 RG1880 model, but that would have a J. Custom neck with binding and a real maple top, so it's definitely not one of those, just a similar appearance. I also thought maybe an RG1508 but the neck doesn't match that either - and I supposed it's hard to be sure, but considering the condition of the guitar and nothing else out of place, I have no reason to believe this is a replacement neck or anything like that. When I get the chance, I'll pull the neck off and take a peak at the stain of the finish and look for extra screw holes though. One thing I do think might point it towards something like an RG1508 is because the neck pickup appears to be a FRED or Paf Pro, instead of an Air Norton as on some other models. Bridge sounds and looks to me like a Tone Zone though. I can't find a model with that combination - it's either Super 3 + FRED or TZ/AN.

Anyway - here are some pictures:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dayum, that's a beauty! I wonder if it's a spot model or a dealer special, if not a bitser. Loving the colour, like the old Lukather Roadstars and RS530 marine burst.

I'd also guess that the bridge pu is a TZ (or a Norton, ha), going by the slugs/slot screws, and what was put in the guitars at the time. Probably a Blue Velvet in the middle.

The body might be alder, going by the grain. Yours seems to have actual cream binding, while the RG1880 and J Customs of the time tend to have the masked off, faux type. Most of the models you mention also have offset fingerboard dots, while yours has the normal, large style we see on 550s and 570s.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
I'm very interested to know because that lower horn is a bit more rounded than we'd normally see on an RG!

exciting times :) from 1996... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. It's certainly a weird one. I didn't realize those other models I mentioned had the "natural wood" style binding, since I've never seen actually seen one, just reading pages and pages in the Ibanez wiki. So yeah... cream colored binding is a bit odd too - I think that's also why the lower horn is more rounded of as well, probably easier to shape the binding piece around rather than having it come to a point like a standard RG. That was one of the first things I noticed as well, since I check the tips of the horns whenever I buy one to see if there is any damage there.

The weirdest thing to me I guess is that the body seems very very fancy, with the binding and cool finish, and Dimarzios, but the neck is just a standard RG neck from that era. I do love the Bubinga stripe though, I think that's very cool looking and it just plays great. Too bad it's not bound, that would be icing on the cake.

I'll pop the neck off this weekend and take a closer look. Hopefully there's a model number or some clue as to what it is - and I'll update here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well - I had a few minutes tonight and curiosity was killing me so I checked it out - and we have an answer!

According to the neck pocket, it's an RG570FMDX. I guess the DX is for the direct mount Dimarzio's/Binding/LoPro Edge etc.
Either way, great guitar and really enjoying playing it. Thanks for checking it out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts