Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a really decent condition old square heeled neck and set about attaching it to a body I had lying around.

I do not know how long this neck had been unattached to a guitar, but it looked fairly straight.

So I attached it, wired it, and strung it up.
My intent was for this guitar to be tuned a whole step down to D, not drop D, but the whole guitar.

I dropped the original Edge trem I had lying around into it, and set it down pretty low.

And the strings buzzed everywhere.

I have a nice forged cosmo nut installed, and took out the worn cast one it came with.

I placed a spacer under the nut (not sure what thickness) hoping it would help, and then I cut out a new one out of a business card and put it under the nut as well.

It helped a little, but is still buzzes.

I did raise the bridge a few times and it is as high as I want it to be, but I may need to raise it more depending on what you guys might recommend.

Right now the strings are about 2mm off the fretboard.

Does anybody know what normal 'low action' string heights should be?

Should I be adjusting my truss rod?

If so, what is the best procedure for doing that?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What gauge strings are you using?

If your planning on having a D standard tuning for a long time get some 10's or even 11's on it.

Other than that you will probably need to do one or two things.

Firstly truss rod.

The bar inside gets straighter if its tighter, and more bow if its looser. You sound like you need a tad more bow. Turn the truss rod no more than 1/4 of a turn to the left. So this means with the guitar in playing position, with the allen wrench in the nut, turn the wrench down towards your knees 1/4 turn. then tune it up and leave it. Depending on loads of factors this can take anything from 1 minute to 24 hours to settle.

When you do tune it, make sure that you stretch the strings properly. You will need to do this again when you re tune after its settled.

If this doesn't work, a shim in the neck can sometimes help but this involves removing the neck.

A good guide is here http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/nckshim.htm

I'd also suggest buying this book as its amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd/dp/0879309210/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

hope that helps ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Crossbones.
I have .009's on it now. I guess I could change them to a larger guage, they are like wet noodles right now.
Great advice, I appreciate the feedback.
And I ordered the book by Dan Erwline.
Love this website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts