Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I got my first Ibanez, an RG565 that was brand new in an unopened box. The setup from the factory was pretty bad but one thing I noticed is there was a backbow to the neck so I loosened it up to the maximum amount and even with that I can just barely fit a .010/.254mm feeler gauge under the straight edge on the 12th fret. The action isn't what I would consider high and I'm still getting a lot of buzz.

I could easily take the guitar back to the store but before I do that I wanted to check in to see what ya'll think of this. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? It seems there's nowhere left to go if the neck bends any further back.

Thanks

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Reject, if you bought this in a store they should have set it up or at least checked that it wasn't a reject. Factory spec calls for .5mm relief at the 9th. I've only had one 565 I had to reject for relief.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reject, if you bought this in a store they should have set it up or at least checked that it wasn't a reject. Factory spec calls for .5mm relief at the 9th. I've only had one 565 I had to reject for relief.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the quick reply Rich.

·
Registered
271 Posts
damn that must suck luckily my rg565 came with a decent setup, as far as i can tell there are no issues with it, sounds and plays better than my rg550 genesis i bought used in 2019

i also noticed it didn’t have the same fretboard lacquer smell the rg550 had. I even bought another rg550 genesis back then and it had the same smell as the one i have now, i returned the new one and kept the used one, the smell eventually went away tho but i got confirmation it was not just my guitar

but still i was expecting the same smell from the rg565 but it didn’t have it and it was new right out of the box

maybe they changed the lacquer formula or switched to something safer im sure they got complains about it me being one of them lol as i complained about that damn lacquer smell over the internet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn that must suck luckily my rg565 came with a decent setup, as far as i can tell there are no issues with it, sounds and plays better than my rg550 genesis i bought used in 2019

i also noticed it didn’t have the same fretboard lacquer smell the rg550 had. I even bought another rg550 genesis back then and it had the same smell as the one i have now, i returned the new one and kept the used one, the smell eventually went away tho but i got confirmation it was not just my guitar

but still i was expecting the same smell from the rg565 but it didn’t have it and it was new right out of the box

maybe they changed the lacquer formula or switched to something safer im sure they got complains about it me being one of them lol as i complained about that damn lacquer smell over the internet
Yeah it's brutal, I got a 20% off coupon from GC and rolled the dice ordering from them. 850 shipped but now I've got to drive to Boise to return it and looks like they are OOS again. I called GC and they said they would let me take 20% off an Ibanez but they don't have much in the way of Ibanez in stock.

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Wait, those idiots are giving coupons off on inventory they can't even get?! Did any of them go to business school or do they pull these ideas out of places the sun doesn't shine?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah it's brutal, I got a 20% off coupon from GC and rolled the dice ordering from them. 850 shipped but now I've got to drive to Boise to return it and looks like they are OOS again. I called GC and they said they would let me take 20% off an Ibanez but they don't have much in the way of Ibanez in stock.
GC sucks they dont do anything to the guitars, at least sweetwater inspects them lol not that means much of anything probably just a one minute inspection

i got lucky with mine, also got it for $850 new off an ebay music store and they did a setup, so far so good haven't found any issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GC sucks they dont do anything to the guitars, at least sweetwater inspects them lol not that means much of anything probably just a one minute inspection

i got lucky with mine, also got it for $850 new off an ebay music store and they did a setup, so far so good haven't found any issues
They just emailed me and said I could pre-order another RG565 with an ETA of October then they have a couple of Prestige models in stock, don't love the colors of any of them thou.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wait, those idiots are giving coupons off on inventory they can't even get?! Did any of them go to business school or do they pull these ideas out of places the sun doesn't shine?
Well the RG565 was in stock when I ordered it, Customer Service is going to let me take 20% off to honor the coupon they originally sent but yeah their current in stock isn't amazing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well the RG565 was in stock when I ordered it, Customer Service is going to let me take 20% off to honor the coupon they originally sent but yeah their current in stock isn't amazing.
chat with a sweetwater rep and they’ll give you the same 20% off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a side note, I took the guitar back last night. The guy at the store even said yeah, that's not right.. then they threw the guitar up for sale on their website.

So if anyone sees an in stock RG565 in Boise right now it's this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts