Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this rg 350 ex used and I was wondering if I should pay the money to take it in for a new setup or not. I'm pretty new to this type of guitar (only been playing several months) I know nothing of setting up a double locking trem system so I'm kind of nervous to start tinkering with it myself. Honestly, I just want to play at this point, however the guitar is drop d tuning and the strings feel really loose. Other than that, the guitar feels really great so I really want to make this work. My first priority is to tune it to standard and change up the strings. Do I need to re setup the tremelo or can I simply restring it using the manufacturers guidelines? Also, the fret board is kind of gross and needs to be cleaned up. Excuse my newbness, this is the first "awesome" guitar I have ever played.

Any help would appreciated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You can do it, and if you make a wrong turn somewhere it shouldn't be permanent. Locking trems seem complicated at first but they're pretty straightforward once you become familiar. Do you know what strings are on now? or have any in mind to put on next?

This guide might also be of some use to you>> IBANEZ RULES Clean and Setup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. I'm close to deciding to do it myself. Not sure what string gauge is in there but they seem alright. It's probably just sloppy due to the tuning. I probably wouldnt want to put anything much thicker in there. What would be a good recommended string gauge for this setup? Based on your response I probably need to readjust the setup if I change it from drop d to standard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.