Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check out the new addition to the Suhr Exotic line. It's amazing.

You can click on the pic to go to the thread on the Suhr forum where they talk about the specs a bit and you can find a link to more pictures of the guitar.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, if you read the thread you can see Ed Yoon say that this is one of the more understated ones in the exotic line.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ed Yoon pointed out in the Suhr forum thread that this guitar actually has a body, which is made of one piece quilted maple. I didn't notice until he pointed it out. It looks great, I think. You don't have that seam that you see on maple topped guitars, for instance. It's cool. :)

·
4,107 Posts
Yeah, Suhrs are awesome, I have been wanting one for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, cocobolo is basically Central American rosewood. And that piece is stunning. I almost a Suhr with a solid cocobolo neck and a burled top. It was amazing but some Japanese guitar store snagged it right before I could and doubled the price.

·
4,107 Posts
It was similair to this one, this one may actually be it, but I think it was a little different. Anyway, amazing piece!!

http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail...4E264D6CD1C7DA27.rm1?instrument_id=DS00504878

**EDIT**
Yeah, that's the one. It had a Buy It Now of like $3500. I came back an hour later after thinking about it and it was gone. I was searching for other Suhrs similar to this one a few weeks later and found it in Japan with a doubled price tag. Damn.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That Suhr you posted I hadn't seen yet. I like the dark wood. That's also something you see on exotic #8 which is great. :)

Anyway, you could always have one made just like the one you posted, you know? I don't know how much it would cost you. But it may be less that $3500.

·
4,107 Posts
Yeah, the figuring in Cocobolo definitely rivals Brazilian Rosewood. No idea what the tonal differences are but it is stunning wood. I can see a LOT of companies moving to Cocobolo in the near future. PRS is using Peruvian mahogany for their body backs and necks now, I guess the Brazilian rainforest stuff has been depleted. I think the only drawback of Cocobolo is that it is poisonous, so a lot of care has to be used when working with it. If you inhale the sawdust from it, bad news.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts