Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Jem JR, also, Tokai Love Rock, Vintage ProShop Joe Doe, PRS Tremonti custom, Vintage V6, V62, VSW6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
First post, picked up a new one of these which landed today, in white, as part of a trade in for a bass I dont play. So, I always liked, well, loved how white Jems look, so, this seems ideal. I will likely not gig with it, but, as a studio machine it could be great, but, some questions if anyone knows?

Like all, I will change the pickguard, but, that seems simple enough

Pickups - I can get hold of an Evolution set, but, any other suggestions I am more than open to trying out.

Trem - I am hugely not used to Floyd style trems, and, I read this one isnt great? So, are there models out there that will just swap out pretty much like for like? I asked Ibanez, but they sent me here :)

Cheers in advance guys

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey
Congratulations on the new guitar, the white Jem Jr. has been on my radar as of late......

I purchased a new RG550 DXRR last year, and definitely was not in love with the pickups- especially the bridge.

Traded the Inf8 for a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and couldn't be happier. In fact, it has worked out so well that I've been contemplating switching out for S.D.s, they just work, to my ears.

As far as the tremolo goes, I know what I would do.

Get a hold of Rich at Ibanez Rules, see what he has available, and make a decision. I would of course, ask Rich his opinion on the matter. His knowledge is invaluable. Not only that, he is the very "top of the mountain" as far as dealers goes. I found him to be responsive, smart, and honest. Can't ask for much more than that!

Good luck on your journey, and please keep us updated on your various mods.

Peace
Steve

·
Registered
Jem JR, also, Tokai Love Rock, Vintage ProShop Joe Doe, PRS Tremonti custom, Vintage V6, V62, VSW6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
Congratulations on the new guitar, the white Jem Jr. has been on my radar as of late......

I purchased a new RG550 DXRR last year, and definitely was not in love with the pickups- especially the bridge.

Traded the Inf8 for a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and couldn't be happier. In fact, it has worked out so well that I've been contemplating switching out for S.D.s, they just work, to my ears.

As far as the tremolo goes, I know what I would do.

Get a hold of Rich at Ibanez Rules, see what he has available, and make a decision. I would of course, ask Rich his opinion on the matter. His knowledge is invaluable. Not only that, he is the very "top of the mountain" as far as dealers goes. I found him to be responsive, smart, and honest. Can't ask for much more than that!

Good luck on your journey, and please keep us updated on your various mods.

Peace
Steve
Cheers for that :) Our guitarist has a white Evolution that hes going to bring over next time we play, so, thats the bridge sorted in as much as, I think it came out the high end jem :)

I will find Rich and ask, REALLY grateful for the pointers. Not really had anything with a floating trem before apart from an RG350DX a fair number of years ago, and, it was blocked, so, nervous is the word! Think this will be so nice in a studio though

·
Registered
23 Posts
No worries, Rich will take care of you well.

I would also like to point out how good his tutorials on his website are. I knew little about the techy part of the locking tremolo. After reading his info on them, I'm setting up me and my bandmates bridges, his articles cover every part of getting you guitar set up and playing great.

If, and when, you do run into an issue, all you have to do is contact Rich and he will help walk you through what you need.

Just always remember that his time is valuable, he's not there to B.S. about guitars Lol. Straight and to the point- just how I like it. Can't say enough good things about my experience.

Have fun bro, can't wait to hear about the results.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, I have fired off an email, and, will have a look round the site too, tutorials may be a godsend! :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mm, the tech section of Rich's site will tell you what there is to know about setting up a Floyd type bridge, and browsing these forums.

Pickups - well, the sky's the limit these days (and can induce option paralysis, ha!). Depends on what kind of sound you want, what your rig is like, and what music you play.

Trem - the so-called 'DL Standard' on the Jem Jr is one of the cost-cutting measures to keep the price of the guitar down. They can be made to work, but they won't be as durable in the long-term as the Gotoh made bridges which grace Premium and Japanese models. A replacement that tends to get recommended the most around here is the Gotoh GE1996T, no mods required (unless you're also changing the studs/bushings). Original Floyd or Schaller will also work, they are more expensive though. The Gotoh can set you back as little as £100-150, depending on colour and where you look.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey all
First post, picked up a new one of these which landed today, in white, as part of a trade in for a bass I dont play. So, I always liked, well, loved how white Jems look, so, this seems ideal. I will likely not gig with it, but, as a studio machine it could be great, but, some questions if anyone knows?

Pickups - I can get hold of an Evolution set, but, any other suggestions I am more than open to trying out.

Trem - I am hugely not used to Floyd style trems, and, I read this one isnt great? So, are there models out there that will just swap out pretty much like for like? I asked Ibanez, but they sent me here :)

Cheers in advance guys
I have 2 Juniors. I replaced the springs on both, and now they stay in tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ibanez sent you here? lol
Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd haha
Also, Rich from the one above sent me back here saying best place to get advice on aftermarket trems as he just does OEM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 2 Juniors. I replaced the springs on both, and now they stay in tune.
I think I am going to get a tremol-no and be done with it. Confusing buggers to tune haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mm, the tech section of Rich's site will tell you what there is to know about setting up a Floyd type bridge, and browsing these forums.

Pickups - well, the sky's the limit these days (and can induce option paralysis, ha!). Depends on what kind of sound you want, what your rig is like, and what music you play.

Trem - the so-called 'DL Standard' on the Jem Jr is one of the cost-cutting measures to keep the price of the guitar down. They can be made to work, but they won't be as durable in the long-term as the Gotoh made bridges which grace Premium and Japanese models. A replacement that tends to get recommended the most around here is the Gotoh GE1996T, no mods required (unless you're also changing the studs/bushings). Original Floyd or Schaller will also work, they are more expensive though. The Gotoh can set you back as little as £100-150, depending on colour and where you look.
Awesome, cheers mate :) Just what I needed!

Pickups I am good, will either get some evolutions for "that" sound, or, go off the rails. Either some Ghosts (that get made for me fortunately), or may try something like Iron Gear, or, the set the guys at BareKnuckles suggested (if I really want to spend that much haha

But, brilliant on the trem info, this all makes sense :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, heres one while I am at it, get all my dumb questions out at once :)

Would you guys pick a tremol-no over a tremelo stop? As far as I can tell, I put the "no" on, and, easier to tune, but, can still actually use it if I want to make mad noises? like, it has settings. The other one just stops it like a hard tail?

·
Registered
485 Posts

Would you guys pick a tremol-no over a tremelo stop? As far as I can tell, I put the "no" on, and, easier to tune, but, can still actually use it if I want to make mad noises? like, it has settings. The other one just stops it like a hard tail?
My friend has the JS100, the cheaper Satriani model as his back up guitar. The trem and the pickups are the two places it's not so great.

He has the tremelo no on it and swears by it.
It has a screw setting. So if you tighten it fully it's basically locked solid like a hardtail.

If you open the screw up it goes back to being a regular floating trem. Leave the back plate off if you want to rapidly switch between both options.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hey all

Cheers in advance guys
If you know where to get an inexpensive pickguard and truss rod cover for an Indonesian, wh\ite Jem Jr. please share. I got a gray pearl PG, truss rod cover and back plate, but they are for a Japanese Jem and won’t fit the Indonesian Jr. the also don’t fit the Indonesian premium Jem. So I’m out 25 bucks altogether, but oh well. There is a lad\y in my town wh\o makes custom covers, bt I don’t want to spend $100.00 or more on custom made.

·
Registered
566 Posts
@jjmaingrain I just sold my Jem Jr the other day. It had a stripped hole in the nut where the lock block screws go. And also had a pot that froze. I fixed it, and sold it to the local GC as I didn’t like the pickups. I tried to adjust the pickup heights. No improvement.

My Jem Jr SP has different pickups from the White Jem Jr. I will get a pink one when summer comes. The pickups in the JR SP sound miles better through my Orange and especialy better through my Mesa/Boogie.

The White one sounded horrible through the Mesa. But sounded better through my SS Orange Crush. The Mesa just seemed to emphasize what was wrong with the white one. The same Quantum pickups as the White Jem Jr are in my S570AH. They sound good in that guitar.

·
Registered
3 Posts

If you're looking to completely block the tremolo you can use a block of wood. Cheap and effective solution.

·
Registered
Jem 77P/BFP, Radius 540R LTD, RG350DX, and waiting for my latest to come, RG550 Desert Sun Yellow
22 Posts
Why don't you just learn how to tune, set up,and use your own Jem w/floating bridge instead of using a stopper for that? There is a lot to learn about a floating tremolo, but once you get used to it, you'd never look back to using a fixed bridge. :coffee:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts